Discuss Well, i never knew that in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

golfpaul

Electrical resistance has an inverse exponential relationship with temperature, i.e. as temperature increases, resistance will decrease and vice versa. Since the minimum acceptable IR test values are based on a fixed reference temperature (usually 20oC), the measured IR test values must be corrected to the reference temperature in order to make sense of them.

As a rule of thumb, the resistance halves for every 10oC increase in temperature (and vice versa). S if the measured IR test value was 2MΩ at 20oC, then it would be 1MΩ at 30oC or 4MΩ at 10oC.

Electrical resistance has an inverse exponential relationship with temperature, i.e. as temperature increases, resistance will decrease and vice versa. Since the minimum acceptable IR test values are based on a fixed reference temperature (usually 20oC), the measured IR test values must be corrected to the reference temperature in order to make sense of them.

As a rule of thumb, the resistance halves for every 10oC increase in temperature (and vice versa). S if the measured IR test value was 2MΩ at 20oC, then it would be 1MΩ at 30oC or 4MΩ at 10oC.

Resistance increases with temperature!

paul. measure the resistance of a 100watt light bulb ( cold ). it will be about 60 ohms. when hot the resistance is R =V/I. i.e. 530ohms.

A little personal experience that runs counter your assertion.
We do a fair bit of work in paper mills. They can be quite steamy - and I don't mean in the night club sense. Paper mills use a lot of water so humidity is high.

Typically, they have an annual two week summer shut where they maintain what needs to be maintained - then spend the next two months sorting out the new problems introduced.

I was at the start up of one in Scotland doing a few checks. The drive motors were DC and I was checking the insulation of a motor at the "wet end". The field winding was down to 50kohm to earth.
"Jimmy, I think we have a wee problem with this yin."
"Och, dinnae bother wi' it. A bit of heat is aw it needs."
"OK. You're the customer, pal."

So I energised the field and left it overnight. And, sure enough, it was up to 4Mohm by the next morning. This, I reported to Jimmy.

"Aye. Braw job. Braw job."

Stick to PAT testing mate!!! :)

Electrical resistance has an inverse exponential relationship with temperature

You missed out a crucial bit of information: In what material? Not metals, for example, as the above replies have pointed out.

It looks like 'most' ceramics have a NTC as well!! Probably not that related to electrics but interesting as I thought temperature always had a positive coefficient with respect to resistance!

A little personal experience that runs counter your assertion.
We do a fair bit of work in paper mills. They can be quite steamy - and I don't mean in the night club sense. Paper mills use a lot of water so humidity is high.

Typically, they have an annual two week summer shut where they maintain what needs to be maintained - then spend the next two months sorting out the new problems introduced.

I was at the start up of one in Scotland doing a few checks. The drive motors were DC and I was checking the insulation of a motor at the "wet end". The field winding was down to 50kohm to earth.
"Jimmy, I think we have a wee problem with this yin."
"Och, dinnae bother wi' it. A bit of heat is aw it needs."
"OK. You're the customer, pal."

So I energised the field and left it overnight. And, sure enough, it was up to 4Mohm by the next morning. This, I reported to Jimmy.

"Aye. Braw job. Braw job."

One of the reasons some AC motors have DC applied to the stator when stopped.

What a load of codswallop

From the OED

[h=1]Definition of codswallop in English:[/h][h=3]noun [/h][mass noun] British informal
Nonsense: I think that’s a right load of old codswallop
More example sentences

• Is it a spiritually enriching pursuit or load of old codswallop?
  • We could have been giving him a load of old codswallop.
  • That's actually a load of old codswallop - the Belgians brew the best beer in the world.
[h=3]Origin[/h]1960s: perhaps named after Hiram Codd, who invented a bottle for fizzy drinks (1875); the derivation remains unconfirmed.

can't blame him. silicons grow in silicon valley, bulbs grow in anything, cannabis grows in attics,

Reply to Well, i never knew that in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net