Discuss What happened? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

JakeC

Hi all, trying to understand what I did wrong or what caused my volt meter tip to arc, ruin my tester and trip out rcd & mcb. I had a fluke t100 and have been fault finding a tumble drier. I probed L2 onto heat element to check voltage was present and blew the tip off. What caused this? Cheers

I used a fluke t100 volt meter so not a case of wrong settings it's all automatic and I'm sure I didn't short :thinking:

should have used the correct tool for repairing a fumble dryer.

download (3).jpg

funny, coz i just had to fix our dryer. think i posted about it last week. bloody thing tripped RCD an hour before we went away for new year,

Did you do a risk assessment before testing a machine that was live and I'm guessing actually operating?

Here's my guess what happened.....
probe contact.jpg

That couldn't possibly have happened because, as you pointed out, he would have carried out a risk assessment for the live testing procedure and as a result used shrouded probes in accordance with gs38

That couldn't possibly have happened because, as you pointed out, he would have carried out a risk assessment for the live testing procedure and as a result used shrouded probes in accordance with gs38
and the pope is married.....

Reply to What happened? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I have a 32amp MCB for my heating (heat pump) and when the heating comes on, it trips after a few seconds. If I push it back up it works fine...
Replies
Views
I'm writing this mainly hoping something occurs to me while writing it! I got called to an occasionally tripping RCD. It's a Hager double height...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Was speaking to a family member recently, he told me his iron recently made a bang and flash as he plugged it in to the socket, and could...
Replies
Views
Ok, i am new in this forum I am looking for some enlightenment. Today I got a call from my boss, which is now in Venezuela and he is connecting a...
Replies
Views
Hi I know I have to do more testing but I just want to see if there is something I’m missing. Customer said light fitting in the loft was...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock