Discuss What size cable do I need? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

well if it's 75 KVA dor a drilling machine, what sort of drill is it, a bloody tunnel borer?

It would explain where the missing power is going at 75kva and 22Kw both been mentioned it means there is 60amps per phase unaccounted for and if the 22kw is the main motor what the hell is using the rest of it... as we have said it needed clarifying and a breakdown of the machine if thats the only info we had.

probably it's only a state school. anything will do.

Electricshock --- what area you based in -maybe a forum member could help you out and work along side you 'for a fee of course' then as above you get the valuable experience needed.

What? You mean find a spark who knows what he's doing to do the work, at the same time showing the OP what to do and how to do it so that next time that sort of work comes along the guy who knows what he's doing is undercut by the less experienced OP?!

If my competition wanted me to show them how to do something so that they could compete with me for similar work in the future I'd be doing two things:

First I'd be assessing the level of threat they pose to my business should they ever reach the same standard as mine at some point in the future. How likely is it that they will be poaching my potential clients at some point down the line? If it was likely, I'd be telling them to jog on!

Secondly, if that threat was low, I'd at least be charging consulatation fees at £1000 per day!

The only way I'd ever go in on a job at my standard daily rate to show another spark what to do is if they were not local and would never be my competition.

Last edited:
Will be in a state, if our friend is in fact a Electrical Trainee or similar that is creeping out of domestic work.

Boydy

Please don't judge. You don't know me, I don't know you. It's a private school. Only small place. I'm not creeping out of domestic. I just do what I get. I now do professional cctv systems and intruder alarm systems. I didn't know until I tried it. It's unfortunate I can't do the same with industrial work.

Last edited by a moderator:
..... is if they were not local and would never be my competition.

Competition should be encourage, it provides value for money to the customer who is king ;) And of course customer feedback from healthy competition is the breakfast of champions and aids improvement, which all professional electricians should aspire to!

Yes mate, when the market is already saturated with sub-standard electricians who undercut you at every turn what we should all do is encourage more competition!

WTF?!?

The playing field isn't level, and until it is, I will not be relishing in adding to that problem!

By the way did I mention that I have already connected probably over 10 machines for the same factory. Ranging from 2.5mm cable up to 25mm cable. Some machines are same physical size as this one that I was going to do and they do the same work. The only time they called back was when a machine was tripping. I set overload at 7kw. The motor rating was 7. So I changed the overload to 4-10kw and adjusted it to tiny bit over 7 which fixed the problem. All this was done over the last 5-6 years. I've also done conveyer belts. Forklift chargers. A few of the bigger machines I've done cost them around a million each.

Last edited by a moderator:
By the way did I mention that I have already connected probably over 10 machines for the same factory. Ranging from 2.5mm cable up to 25mm cable. Some machines are same physical size as this one that I was going to do and they do the same work. The only time they called back was when a machine was tripping. I set overload at 7kw. The motor rating was 7. So I changed the overload to 4-10kw and adjusted it to tiny bit over 7 which fixed the problem. All this was done over the last 5-6 years. I've also done conveyer belts. Forklift chargers. A few of the bigger machines I've done cost them around a million each.

Your Blue Peter badge is winging its way to you as we speak.

Wear it with pride!!!!

Reply to What size cable do I need? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net