Discuss What type of jobs can i get? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys hoping you can help me out. I have just finished studying at college, and the qualifications I gained was NVQ 2 performing engineering operations (electrical), NC Level 5 & 6, and a HNC Electrical Engineering. What type of jobs can i obtain with these qualifications? Ideally I would like to do more practical work but a lot of companies wont take me on because i dont have a lot of hands on experience. Any help would be great.

Well John, taking that you did all of the studying and got the qualifications, you should be able to tell us. What have you had in mind all of the time that you've been attending college? Anything?

I would like to do more wiring installations and things like working in houses etc, but someone told me I would have to get a JIB card, and i would have to go through an apprenticeship route and go back to college on block release, is that right?

What did you intend the qualifications to get you an occupation in? The engineering side is slightly different to house bashing and install work. If you just need a job whilst you work out your future then get an ECS card as an operative and labourer and go agency or electricians mate.
You sound lost! Are you? Do you know what you want to do?

Yeah slightly lost on the whole thing, i dont mind doing an apprenticeship if thats what it takes. I have done a lot of small jobs for friends and family on my own but would just like to gain more site experience and learn from experienced electricians to gain a bit more confidence etc. How can i get an ECS card?

Google JIB ECS or look at the hundreds of threads in the forum archives by using the search button and then the 'similar threads' box (only when on desktop or laptop).
Who told you to do the qualifications you did in the first place?

I just decided to do it myself to make sure i would enjoy it, and now I really enjoy doing electrical work and find it interesting. Hopefully i find something soon. Looking to go and do my 17th edition etc too, and will definetly look at getting an ecs card.

Reply to What type of jobs can i get? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net