Discuss What would you do? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Possible the blanks were there but fitting the cover was so awkward they dropped out and are inside.

Importantly, it needs the Wylex small yellow busbar insulators as well as the cover blanks. Once again, showing up the incompetence of the installer.
A minor job ignored which could lead to major problems.

What i expect would be that's where the old fusebox was sited..... and the gas meter was put in front of it.
Agree.
Looks Like an old Wylex 3036 CU, or equivalent, butt up to the timber looking at the gouging.
Miles smaller than the replacement. Still wrong putting the gas meter so close, though.

Are these necessary? I had in mind that busbar barriers were a 'nice to have', but not a requirement, assuming all else being correct.
I reckon so and they are supplied with, but you may be right.
I'll always fit 'em though, if only for the nincompoops (get that for a word)
who might stick an appendage in there.

I reckon so and they are supplied with, but you may be right.
I'll always fit 'em though, if only for the nincompoops (get that for a word)
who might stick an appendage in there.
I think it’s in the back ‘myth busting’ section of the good practice guide that specifically states that busbar protection covers do not need to be fitted, no code. The logic of course being that you need a tool or key to open the cabinet in the first place. But like most, it never sits well with me not to see them.

They're not a requirement because the slots on the front of the CU should all be closed off to the required IP rating, and the cover shouldn't be off unless the main switch is as well. We all know that the latter doesn't always happen, so I always fit the busbar covers for my own protection. I even used heat shrink or sleeving to make my own on occasions.

necessary?
Most manufacturers recommend them to be fitted. We are required to take that into account. If they had been fitted clearly it would have been safer with the blanks missing. Personally on a job like that I would be loathe to involve myself. First you are liable for the installation if you work on it. That is if you miss a safety item and do not address it, liability could run to you. Insurance would not cover any omissions.
The harder path would be to advise the installation is unsafe and needs work on. The idea that the elderly lady "only wants the least done" is not realistic given what is apparent from your post/pics. I would tend to offer a costed remedial set of actions even though they/she may baulk at it, it is the only safe course for all parties.

Reply to What would you do? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net