Discuss Whats wrong in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

dnjr

-
Reaction score
Saw this in pro electrician and am unsure what's wrong. I know I'm sticking my head over parapet here but what's wrong in the photo
Thought it may be that the L. and N have been swapped but didn't think that would matter. Mostly use Hagar boards and they say it's ok
6838c0beef70260b2088c1f2ea8fb83d.jpg

Ta
DNR

I reckon the 'inspector' never noticed the wire :) Daz

True, but the brown goes to the same side as the bus bar, and the blue to the blue - I mean, I failed nursery level colouring, but it's quite obvious isn't it the wires are the correct way round?

but is it bypassed? blue incomer at top, blue out from bottom to N bar. can't see what the black is into though.

Last edited:
Definitely looks like a bypass. Unless it's just passing behind the RCD, but it looks like it goes into the bottom terminal to me. Daz

Hurray. Not just me then. I thought it was bypassed but why on earth would you do that
thanks to all for contributing

I see the black sneaking around the RCD and wonder, what could possibly be the point of bypassing ONE pole of an RCD? Certainly won't help keep the supply on...

If you read the note it says "annoying neutral faults, all sorted now"

My guess is the RCD has been by passed on the neutral side by that black wire in an attempt to get round a problem of nuisance tripping caused by an existing fault that has not been properly identified.

Though the inspector's comment is either a mis-print or he is as brain dead as the guy who fitted the bypass.

My guess is the RCD has been by passed on the neutral side by that black wire in an attempt to get round a problem of nuisance tripping

My point being that bypassing one side only will force it to trip on any load, not stop it tripping, so it will be more or less impossible to get a supply regardless of whether or not there is a fault. I.e. the system would surely not have been left like this. Unless the line is also bypassed but we can't see it.

Reply to Whats wrong in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net