Discuss When family jobs just get daft.... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Rockingit

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
"Any chance you could sort out a new light in the garage, old one's stopped working...." says my 85 miles away old ma.

3 visits later.... having had to smash out a channel to lay in a new armoured, fit a new board, re-wire the whole lot, re-concrete.......
Ma now has a light back in a garage that she doesn't use anyway.

could have just fitted a battery powered light, even can get them with integral PIRs. 10 minutes work at negligible cost.

could have just fitted a battery powered light, even can get them with integral PIRs. 10 minutes work at negligible cost.
Referee! In fairness there's also actually a socket that's needed for the mower and a spur off to a greenhouse heater, but, the principle remains

Referee! In fairness there's also actually a socket that's needed for the mower and a spur off to a greenhouse heater, but, the principle remains
buy her a cordless mower for xmas. GTech do a good one.

There are so many comments I want to make...
but I will refrain!

My Mum lived alone for 14 years after my dad died, I won't bore you with the geographical details, but she would call me at my office and say "Could you call by on your way home and change a couple of light bulbs for me?"
Office to my home=40 miles
Office to Mum's place = 60 miles
Mum's place to my home = 20 miles
Think of it as a triangle...
Latterly, I just called the local handyman and paid him to do the job...
I guess that's why she disinherited me...

I guess that's why she disinherited me...
Sadly at the end of a long day --it just got longer .
(Know the feeling moved to a local city , so spent less of life travelling .. but then had to do weekends==Time off to visit folks ... )
Will they be happy with Zoom now ..?

Last edited:
Will they be happy with Zoom now ..?
I've actually had reasonable success getting them both (70 & 83) into the world of Zoom, the problem is mostly that it's my own rural broadband (no fibre, etc) that defeats us due to an atrocious upload speed.

Reply to When family jobs just get daft.... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net