Discuss Why oh why 25mm meter tails? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thanks for clarifying, but it seems a pointless exercise if you ask me. I regard the meter tails as starting at the meter and ending at the distribution board. Electrically, having a bit of 25mm2 for the last segment doesn't change the overalll current carrying capacity of the tails, which are still limited to 87A by the 16mm segments. - IMHO.

doesnt matter what you regard meter tails as you arent allowed into the meter

Pop quiz - in your experience, which is most likely to look after the safety interests of the the customer? Is it

a) the DNO, or
b) a responsible spark called in by the customer.

hopefully the same person that looks after the spark when home owner gets accused of diddling the meter :lol:

round and round and round we go

Correct, but I still don't have a conclusive answer! Some people think the 25mm is not mandatory - you can make a calculation on loading, and use 16mm2 if appropriate. Others think you've got to upgrade to 25mm2 - no option - but say you can't take existing tails out of meter to replace.

I'm going call it quits now, but I would add that - in my experience - opening the part of the meter that gives access to the tail temination block - doesn't give you access to inside of meter. So the seals on the meter don't have to be opened. Maybe some older meters don't have a clear divide like this.

Correct, but I still don't have a conclusive answer!

because you dont listen

I'm going call it quits now, but I would add that - in my experience - opening the part of the meter that gives access to the tail temination block - doesn't give you access to inside of meter. So the seals on the meter don't have to be opened. Maybe some older meters don't have a clear divide like this.

but it does allow you to bypass the meter, that means free electricity

Correct, but I still don't have a conclusive answer!

An installation needs to comply with BS7671 to ensure good practice but is not law, however Building Regs say that work should comply with BS7671 which is law so in a rounadbout way it doesn't matter what you do because IF something were to happen then you'll get it from one side if not the other or both perhaps?

Leave those meter seals intact
The cables from the cut out to the meter are not ours to play with
As flukey,the 25mm tails in the consumer unit can be jointed to whatever is existing,even if they are well undersized 6mm or such

The supplier can be notified to come and make that connection,it used to be £16.

They can then replace the cut out seal (that was removed for safety) at the same time if they want,or not,its their choice, their equipment, their responsibility

If they dont fit the new tails its not your problem, if the meter gets cooked, as long as the connection was requested the problem is theirs

and to work on the meter would mean pulling the cutout which in theory means cutting the seals on the cutout!!! which of cousre you are not allowed to do :rolleyes2:

Leave those meter seals intact
The cables from the cut out to the meter are not ours to play with
As flukey,the 25mm tails in the consumer unit can be jointed to whatever is existing,even if they are well undersized 6mm or such

The supplier can be notified to come and make that connection,it used to be £16.

They can then replace the cut out seal (that was removed for safety) at the same time if they want,or not,its their choice, their equipment, their responsibility

If they dont fit the new tails its not your problem, if the meter gets cooked, as long as the connection was requested the problem is theirs

common sense prevails, thanks des, now time for a beer, or 10 :lol:

and which tails are not their property then? the ones coming from the meter to the fuseboard? the meter you are not spose to touch cos that is also their property and it has a seal on it? so i essence we really shouldnt worry about changing any tails cos they are all sealed up and the DNO's :confused5:
read the post jason before posting this sort of tripe will you.......sinse when did i refer to consumers tails..eh?....

Totaly agree Glennspark, if you do get near 100A in a domestic setting I would hate to see what the quaterly bill was!!! and 25mm just dont bend as easy as 16mm and im sure the design of most the domestic stuff aint designed for 25mm, all the main switches seem to destort and argue.. but nothing a hammer cant fix "I will get that tail in":hammer:
;) Very Funny that Mate!!! your a comedian !

Reply to Why oh why 25mm meter tails? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net