Discuss Wife Code for black pvc with separate earth run to socket? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Morning all,

I have been to look at a job this morning to rewire a radial feed supplying two socket outlets off a 20 mcb. The cable from the board is a black pvc 2 core cable(does not look like copper) and has a separate earth run back to the met.
I am currently doing my 2392 and hope to start doing eicr when I have finished this course. I was wondering what code you would give for this? Assuming that r1/r2 , I/r were okay. Would it be c3 improvement recommended

thanks

Are you sure it's pvc.

Two core black was commonly trs, or latterly polythene, both using the old colour scheme, in imperial sizes and tinned copper.

No cpc would put it pre 70's
Polythene would be pre 70's
TRS would be pre 60's

If the outer is dull black likely to be TRS, if shiny/waxy - polythene.

There is no requirement that the cpc be integral to the cable, so no code, however given the age and potential condition of the cable itself this may be anything from C1 to C3 as TRS can flake off exposing the live conductors.

It would be the cable condition that would concern me.

(And potentially the age of the installation, - it needs a good coat of looking at)

Morning all,

I have been to look at a job this morning to rewire a radial feed supplying two socket outlets off a 20 mcb. The cable from the board is a black pvc 2 core cable(does not look like copper) and has a separate earth run back to the met.
I am currently doing my 2392 and hope to start doing eicr when I have finished this course. I was wondering what code you would give for this? Assuming that r1/r2 , I/r were okay. Would it be c3 improvement recommended

thanks
What size is the earth cable going back to the MET

I'm another one curious about the size of the earth cable.

There is no requirement that the cpc be integral to the cable, so no code

Although there is a requirement for a separately run CPC to be of a minimum CSA (for mechanical strength) which this might not be. I have a mental block on what the minimum size is though!

The cable from the board is a black pvc 2 core cable

There is another possibility that hasn't been mentioned. There is a popular 2-core cable with red and black cores in a black PVC sheath that is still made and used, for vehicle and marine DC wiring. The giveaway would be that it is fine-stranded; it might or might not be tinned. It is made in a wide range of sizes that don't all correspond to familiar CSA's, e.g.14/0.30 is 1.0mm² but the equally popular 28/0.30 is 2.0mm². I have seen it used for domestic wiring with a separate earth, but it is not made to the relevant standards nor rated for 300/500V.

OP: Is the separate earth bare or insulated? (historically, when a separate earth was run with TRS, it was usually bare tinned copper).
How many strands have the conductors? Pics please!

Although there is a requirement for a separately run CPC to be of a minimum CSA (for mechanical strength) which this might not be. I have a mental block on what the minimum size is though!

There is another possibility that hasn't been mentioned. There is a popular 2-core cable with red and black cores in a black PVC sheath that is still made and used, for vehicle and marine DC wiring. The giveaway would be that it is fine-stranded; it might or might not be tinned. It is made in a wide range of sizes that don't all correspond to familiar CSA's, e.g.14/0.30 is 1.0mm² but the equally popular 28/0.30 is 2.0mm². I have seen it used for domestic wiring with a separate earth, but it is not made to the relevant standards nor rated for 300/500V.

OP: Is the separate earth bare or insulated? (historically, when a separate earth was run with TRS, it was usually bare tinned copper).
How many strands have the conductors? Pics please!
If the cpc is bare, then the minimum is 10mm2, other than that as a cpc it's just the adiabatic needs, unless it's buried and for earthing rather than cpc which is 2.5mm2 with mechanical protection and sheathed.

Reply to Wife Code for black pvc with separate earth run to socket? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net