Discuss wiring a 2 gang dimmer switch. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

stuart62

Hi there was wondering if anyone can help?
I recently got my kitchen done including 8 led lights in suspended ceiling.
The light switch is outside door in hall. It is the old brass plate style with 2 knob u can both press in and turn.
Since getting the led lights fitted I decided to buy a new brush steel 2 gang 2 way dimmer from screwfix 400w/250v.
It arrived today and I duly tried to install. That's where the problems started. I have coming from my wall 5 wires (2x red...1x yellow...1x blue 1x brown and 1x yellow and green).
On the underside of the dimmer I have 2 x blocks each with L1, L2,and blank a total of 6 places where I can screw my wires into. Outside one of the blocks is a brass coloured screw where I presume I screw the yellow and green (earth).
Any ideas where the rest of the wires screw into?
Look forward to any reply ty

Welcome to the forum Stuart, what admin get a minute you may be given DIY access and the thread relocated, for now and a faster response, I have approved your thread for the general forum.

Last edited:
Did you take notes on exactly where each wire was connected in the old switch?

first, you may well have the wrong type of dimmer for your LEDs. second, it's almost certain you'll need to employ the services of a local electrician.

Before you attempt to wire it up, are you sure the dimmer is compatible with the LEDs. It might well be, but it might not, e.g. if the LED lamps present too low a load to meet the minimum for the dimmer.

Edit>> To slow, Tel beat me to it!

The wires in the old switch were all in one of the boxes on the back of the dimmer would that be correct?
in a hole labeled C there was red
in L1 there were 2 wires Blue & Red (in same hole does that sound right?)
in L2 there were 2 wires Brown & Yellow......
Should I just do this with the new dimmer just use 1 of the boxes at the back of the plate and use 2 wires in each hole?

Hi there was wondering if anyone can help?
I recently got my kitchen done including 8 led lights in suspended ceiling.
The light switch is outside door in hall. It is the old brass plate style with 2 knob u can both press in and turn.
Since getting the led lights fitted I decided to buy a new brush steel 2 gang 2 way dimmer from screwfix 400w/250v.
It arrived today and I duly tried to install. That's where the problems started. I have coming from my wall 5 wires (2x red...1x yellow...1x blue 1x brown and 1x yellow and green).
On the underside of the dimmer I have 2 x blocks each with L1, L2,and blank a total of 6 places where I can screw my wires into. Outside one of the blocks is a brass coloured screw where I presume I screw the yellow and green (earth).
Any ideas where the rest of the wires screw into?
Look forward to any reply ty

Stuart we have had another post like yours where guys have tried to replace a switch and don't really have a clue, not your fault as you aren't a sparky, best advice would be to get an electrician involved,otherwise you could find yourself in more trouble than you are now. I'll say this and may get into bother with some members, shouldn't cost much maybe a call out say £45. Blimey thats the 2nd time this evening I have suggested this action. Good luck anyhow.

Last edited:
Stuart we have had another post like yours where guys have tried to replace a switch and don't really have a clue, not your fault as you aren't a sparky, best advice would be to get an electrician involved,otherwise you could find yourself in more trouble than you are now. I'll say this and may get into bother with some members, shouldn't cost much maybe a call out say £45. Blimey thats the 2nd time this evening I have suggested this action. Good luck anyhow.

...I have loads to do,so will have to fly from MCR to Glasgow,plus taxis,etc,so it may go over budget...

Pete,if your going to be my agent...we really have to get together,regarding our pricing...:biggrinjester:

(hope you chuckled...)

Reply to wiring a 2 gang dimmer switch. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net