Discuss work testing procedures in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Ducksy

Hey all I would like some feed back on my companies guide to testing procedures.

We only repair electric showers or replace like for like.

My issues are
we never issue a MWC when replacing shower units.

No Zs reading are taken and main earth bonding is not checked, though we do IR tests.

And lastly no safe isolation procedure, all we are asked to do it switch off mcb or isolator switch, then test for dead at shower terminal block, no locking off.

I personally think it needs updating to at least checking Zs what do you guys think here the procedure below

Many thanks

STANDARD ELECTRICAL TEST PROCEEDURES FOR ELECTRIC SHOWERS

1. Conduct visual inspection of front cover. (Has cover been fitted correctly?)

2. Isolate unit via isolation switch or consumer unit before removing the cover.

3. At terminal block test L – N (Ensure 0 volts).
Conduct visual inspection of wiring connections (Ensure supply cable is adequate for kW rating of unit and terminal block connections are fully tightened)

4. At terminal block test for zero ohms (Establish no closed circuit switches)

5. At terminal block conduct insulation resistance test L – E, N – E (Ensure above 2M ohms. If below 2M ohms disconnect supply L - N and retest. Identify if supply or unit fault)

6. Where possible fit magnet and test for leaks and correct flow adjustment.

7. Dead test components where possible (Check continuity/ohms readings of switches, solenoid and elements)

8. Replace failed components as required.

9. Turn on power to unit. Test L – N, L – E, N – E (Establish correct polarity and supply earth connected)

10. Ohms test between unit earth terminal and incoming metal pipe. (Should be 0.1 ohm. Advise customer if no earth bonding to metal pipe).

11. Where applicable complete voltage tests for electronic/pcb functions. (Replace parts as necessary)

12. Repeat insulation resistance tests if replacement part/s fitted.

13. Complete unit functional tests (Volt drop reading to be less than 10v – ensure outlet thermal cut-out operates at 50°C ±3°)

14. Establish circuit protection fuse/mcb is correct size for unit. (Advise customer if incorrect size fitted)

15. Where a shower circuit is deemed to be unsafe leave the unit isolated at the fuse/mcb.

The safe isolation procedure SHOULD always be followed.....The problem you have is that your company will be thinking of a quick turn around, more jobs = more profit.

P.s. You should also test between L - CPC for safe isolation

a few things wrong. e.g. your point #3. testing L-N, what if you have a broken/damaged N? always test for dead L-N and L-E. and as jay said. lock off if isolating at CU.

Thanks guys, I always test L-CPC my issue is although I'm carrying this out the other 30 odd guys probably are not and I would like to advise a better testing procedure.

What do you think about no MWS on replacing units, no checking of main bonding and no Zs reading ?

Last edited by a moderator:
If your replacing like for like i.e not upgrading to a more powerfull shower, then you dont really need to issue a MWC but it is recommended. The problem you have with the Zs test & checking for bonding, is that if you do this and find it to be inadequate, then you wont be able to fit the new shower....and your firm wont like that one little bit....hence why they dont tell you to do it!!!

If your replacing like for like i.e not upgrading to a more powerfull shower, then you dont really need to issue a MWC but it is recommended.

Thanks j just to make a note on what you say, if you change the KW rating It would require a EIC not a MWC like u said.

I do agree....just sits wrong with me personally I'd always check/test and issue a MWC.

But I guess I'm not working for me.............yet ;)

Thanks j just to make a note on what you say, if you change the KW rating It would require a EIC not a MWC like u said.

I do agree....just sits wrong with me personally I'd always check/test and issue a MWC.

But I guess I'm not working for me.............yet ;)

I would have to disagree there....you are only changing the unit. Your not installing a new circuit!! If you needed to change the cable size and MCB due to the extra power then, yes I would say an EIC. But just for the unit, I would issue a MWC. Others might disagree with me though but thats how I would do it.

Abit like adding say, 5 extra down lights in a kitchen to the 3 that are alreay there....esentialy you are increasing the load on the circuit but you would only issue a MWC!!

I would have to disagree there....you are only changing the unit. Your not installing a new circuit!! If you needed to change the cable size and MCB due to the extra power then, yes I would say an EIC. But just for the unit, I would issue a MWC. Others might disagree with me though but thats how I would do it.

Abit like adding say, 5 extra down lights in a kitchen to the 3 that are alreay there....esentialy you are increasing the load on the circuit but you would only issue a MWC!!

Interesting.....I was always under the impression that if the load characteristic "Ib" was changed a MWC was required.....but your down lights analogy has got me thinking....would be good to have a few more opinions on this ;).

Why is there no thanks button on this iPhone app?

EDIT : I should have said EIC not MWC^^^^ confused lol

Interesting.....I was always under the impression that if the load characteristic "Ib" was changed a MWC was required.....but your down lights analogy has got me thinking....would be good to have a few more opinions on this ;).

An MWC is required for both the lights scenario and the shower replacement. But if you need to change the cable or mcb, then an EIC is needed. Most shower upgrades will probably need the cable changing from 6 to 10mm anyway.

Alot of people would not even issue a cert at all if the replacement shower was the same rateing as the old one as this could be classed as maintenance.

Last edited:

EDIT : I should have said EIC not MWC^^^^ confused lol

Ha Ha, got me confused now....im having to re read my posts to see what ive said....lol

Show your bosses the Electrical Safety Councils Best Practice guide, also switch off the breaker and carry on what would happen if you or a colleague got a poke and ended up dead?????

Reply to work testing procedures in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net