Discuss Working on a fan, what is this part in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

philobeto

DIY
Reaction score
I got my hands on an old floor standing fan and started looking to rewire it.

I found this part, I think it's a resistor, but was hoping someone could confirm for me, and maybe suggest a replacement, this thing is kind of crusty, looks like it was covered with layers of something in the past.

Thanks for any help.

The Fan followed by the part in question.
image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg
IMG_7102.jpg

It might be a resistor to give a more gentle startup
or it may be part of a thermal overload device, it would help if we could see what it was a part of, looks like it should be bolted to something.

Rheostats aren't they, I had one as a kid in an electronics set, just some wire wound round a piece of cardboard, acts as a resistance.

Looks like a fixed resistor rather than a rheostat, but yes I agree - it looks like resistance wire wound on a cardboard or fibreboard former.

Yep definately a resistor and it's wound on to a piece of mica which is the same material they use as the waveguide cover inside your microwave cabinet. It will be used in circuit with the fan motor to allow one of the speed settings.

Reply to Working on a fan, what is this part in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I'm sorry if this isn't in the right place but this is my first time using this forum. I'm also sorry if i make some mistakes but I'm new to this...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, newbie posting! Does the following sound ok... Existing circuit: SOCKET on a ring -> spur to SWITCHED 3A FCU -> SWITCH -> hardwired FAN...
Replies
Views
Looking for counsel / guidance to replace an original Dayton On/off with speed control switch. I’ve checked with a couple local electrical supply...
Replies
Views
Hello and good evening I have been asked to take a look at a Sunhouse sshe125 storage heater. The heater’s fan is not working and Dimplex have...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a job where customer has two families one families lives upstairs and one family will live downstairs. As the property is going through...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock