Discuss worlds first head transplant planned for 2017 in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Barry White

Its been tried with mice dogs and monkeys in the past but other than Frankenstien its unheard of and thought imposible by normal doctors. Who say if the opperation goes well the life expectancy even with drugs to stop rejection is poor and it will be rejected.
Docter Canavero has named the procedure HEAVEN and insists the necessary techniques already exist to do the operation.
Valery Spiridonov has faith in the operation which will take 36 hours he suffers from a muscle wasting disease and just wants the chance to get a new body before he dies.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3029376/Russian-volunteer-head-transplant-operation-Valery-Spiridonov-says-no-choice-undergo-7-5million-procedure-controversial-Italian-surgeon-Dr-Sergio-Canavero.html

dwlll.jpg

Having read the story I'm intrigued.

I know a fair amount about surgical procedures although I am in no way a surgeon! What I cannot work out is how he will manage to maintain blood flow to the brain during the actual movement from one body to another. You can cut nerves and ligaments, you can place vessels on bypass whilst you repair them, however how on earth will he keep the heart pumping in not one, but two headless bodies, and a bodyless head, whilst he stitches everything together?!

9 seconds without blood and the brain will shut down. That's a minutely small window!

I was just discussing this with the mrs, we were just saying, could they connect an oxygenated blood supply to the head and then put in on the shelf with it conscious, a bit science fiction, just a head and no body.

To make the vessel swap easy to comprehend, in simple there is a blood supply in to the brain, and a blood supply out. Like a live and a neutral conductor to a lamp.

Imagine having two gennys, one supplying a light, the other just running. Just swapping the live conductor over, then the neutral conductor over will kill the light for the duration of the swap. They both have to be swapped over together, live, and in nine seconds.

I really don't know how it's possible?!

To make the vessel swap easy to comprehend, in simple there is a blood supply in to the brain, and a blood supply out. Like a live and a neutral conductor to a lamp.

Imagine having two gennys, one supplying a light, the other just running. Just swapping the live conductor over, then the neutral conductor over will kill the light for the duration of the swap. They both have to be swapped over together, live, and in nine seconds.

I really don't know how it's possible?!
they managed it with the monkeys skelton but the monkey didnt live long

I'm puzzled why they call it a 'head' transplant and not a body transplant. They're not giving a person a new head because as soon as the head is replaced it's actually a new person. They're actually giving a head a new body.

I thought there were two supplies to the head, one on each side. The Carotid arteries take blood to the head and the Jugular veins take the blood away.

Totally impossible to remove a head and maintain oxegenated blood to the brain in the time frames needed for brain function to remain normal if at all. If this procedure WAS 'successful' then the patient would wake up like me. If the patient wants that, then crack on dudes!

I'm puzzled why they call it a 'head' transplant and not a body transplant. They're not giving a person a new head because as soon as the head is replaced it's actually a new person. They're actually giving a head a new body.

I like the sound of that. I need a new back, knee, foot, right shoulder and the liver and lungs are probably due a service. At some point a full body transplant, preferably an 18 year old descendant of Usain Bolt, makes more sense. Is it really difficult ? and on the NHS ?

They could of course do the procedure in zero gravity where time is much slower than on earth, or in a black hole would be better.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to worlds first head transplant planned for 2017 in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock