Discuss wye vs delta current in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Oh here we go, in delta VL is equal in magnitude to VP but IL is equal to IPxroute of 3

In star IL is equal in magnitude to IP but VL is equal to VPx route3

Vp= phase voltage
Vl = line voltage
Ip = phase current
iL = line current

It's all about the neutral point in star and the way it alters the voltage, in delta the voltage always remains constant line to phase and current is a variable.

In my opinion, the delta should draw more current, but someone told me that when he connected the motor in wye he got like 10 times the current that he got when connecting in delta... so, I was thinking about the theory about it...

Delta will draw more current in theory but take into account that most motors are either delta or star delta as they are perfectly balanced 3phase loads so connecting up in star is pretty pointless

Without getting at all mathematical.
a winding connected in delta is across two phase lines, in star two windings in series share the same two phase lines,
more resistance (impedance) = less current.
Hence Delta= more power = more current; so star-delta used to limit starting current if supply limited. With star as starting-delta once up to near running speed, just like driving off in a car.

Reply to wye vs delta current in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi Changing a 3 phase star delta motor and replacing with a dol 3 phase motor. Would i be right in thinking I can remove 3 of the 6 cables at...
Replies
Views
Heeelp! I have an 11kW/21A motor which is attached to a hydraulic power pack. I have replaced the old panels with new, using the same star delta...
Replies
Views
I have an an electric brake on a three phase motor with the attached wiring schematic which is part of a wine press. At first I thought this was...
Replies
Views
Good day to you. I need electrical drawings urgently and hopefully there is someone that can assist me. They are all for electrical trade test...
Replies
Views
Hi. I need to alter the configuration of this motor wiring from star to delta so that I can use a VFD to control it (hopefully). If I remove the...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock