Discuss Yet another spark robbing customers! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Yeah you can be Dave, remember the Guardian Angels that came over from New York a few years back and were patrolling the tube in London on the pretext of safeguarding passengers?
I reckon they were just up for a bit pagga meself but they claimed to be do gooders:)
Cant say I remember trev I was just a nipper back then but I just looked em up, seems like we could do with a few of them around these days, not that I ever go to inner cities mind.

D Skelton Im confused.......
Are you a violent thug or a do-gooder? You seem to be claiming to be both.....

I'm someone concerened about theives putting a bad name to our trade and If someone is going to try and kick my head in for pointing that out then I'll happily defend myself.

At no point have I hinted that I'm gonna go round bashing up crap electricians?!

Can't really see how I'm claiming to be a violent thug?

And to those of you with the attitude 'It's got nothing to do with you, leave it alone', have a read of this thread:

forged quals dangerous work long story but worth the read

I caught a rogue trader red handed, got the money back for the customer (all be it only the original £45), had trading standards on to him and now he's disappeared!

The guy was a regular advertiser on local websites and in local papers and I've no doubt that this criminal has nicked loads of work off local, decent, honest, hard working sparks by undercutting them hugely and I've seen or heard nothing of him since. More work for us, customer happy and better off for it and a rogue sparks seems to have stopped trading.

Or maybe I should have just kept my mouth shut and let things carry on as usual???

Whether I'm helping someone out for £45 or £45,000, at least I can say I'm part of the solution!

I was once advised (by an NIC assessor) that a non working light could be put as a C1 on the basis that if it isn't a lamp then it could give rise to an immediate problem somewhere on the circuit.

Thats one of the most stupid justifications of using a code 1 fault i've ever heard.
Assessor would get laughed off my site for coming out with that.

Or maybe I should have just kept my mouth shut and let things carry on as usual???

No , you should advise your customer to take action using the systems already in place to deal with this issue.
For example written complaints to the local authority and scheme provider.

So , if i did an inspection on an installation that you had previously tested and recorded different defect codes , is it ok if i come banging at your door with a letter saying how rubbish i think you are ?

i have read through this thread begining to end.
and i have to say if your not part of the solution, you are part of the problem.
its our duty as upstanding tradesmen to uphold our living.

god knows we are not getting any help from the like s of the nic ect.

so if we all did our bit in exposing all the cowboys. we could all justify charging for an honest days work.

and in turn the cowboys would start to realise that they would actually be found out and reported. in turn paying the consiquences for thier actions.

i have a dream........ lol

No , you should advise your customer to take action using the systems already in place to deal with this issue.
For example written complaints to the local authority and scheme provider.

What systems?!?!? There are none, no one cares!

So , if i did an inspection on an installation that you had previously tested and recorded different defect codes , is it ok if i come banging at your door with a letter saying how rubbish i think you are ?

If I had recorded a few different codes, maybe not been very professional with the paperwork then no, however if I had made a dozen problems up, charged the customer £150 for a worthless piece of paper and coded everything wrong then I'd only have myself to blame if you were to confront me about it.

You don't hear the criminals confronted by Matt Alright and Dom Littlewood complaining do you? Coz they only have themselves to blame!

And there is a vast difference between being unprofessional, unqualified or inexperienced and being fraudulent in my opinion.

So report away, LABC will do nothing, CPS operators will do nothing, Trading Standards will do nothing.
One of the biggest cowboys in my town rides around in a van plastered in NICEIC, FMB, C&G logos and according to the rules he is competent.

Reply to Yet another spark robbing customers! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net