Discuss Zircon stud detector e50 in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Thought I'd mention this stud detector as I spent quite a while reading all the reviews and it was difficult to choose one as there was no clear favourite. They all seemed to have some good and some bad reviews! So I hope this helps someone.

I've found that if you read the instructions and use it as stated then it is very good at locating studs and gets them pretty much spot on. If it thinks it needs the deep-scan then it tells you and again works. I like it... alot!

I didn't particularly need the 'live cable function' but it has that as well, I wasn't too impressed with that though. It seemed far too sensitive and was not very useful.

As a stud detector it was brilliant.

Zircon e50 stud detector.jpg

How much was that hippy?

Hi Monkey,
Cheapest I can find is on Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B003IQJULS/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new £26.61 from Tools247 but I'd pay the extra few pence and get the amazon one £27.12.

Or ebay £28.81 ZIRZ63969 Zircon Studsensor E50 Electronic Stud Finder | eBay.

You can get much cheaper ones that might work fine, I've used one cheapy in the past and didn't like it. All I can say is I know this one finds joists accurately.

Thanks mate was looking into one of these the other day but didn't know which to get.

Bought.....amazon should give you commission ;)

Really appreciate you letting us know how you got on, nice one! I've tried a lot of these detectors and they're all hit and miss. The only ones I haven't tried are in the £500 price range but after a bad taste so far I've not been keen on going there just yet.

thanks again

Hi Monkey,
Cheapest I can find is on Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B003IQJULS/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new £26.61 from Tools247 but I'd pay the extra few pence and get the amazon one £27.12.

Or ebay £28.81 ZIRZ63969 Zircon Studsensor E50 Electronic Stud Finder | eBay.

You can get much cheaper ones that might work fine, I've used one cheapy in the past and didn't like it. All I can say is I know this one finds joists accurately.
Cheers for that, nice to see one that works :) my stanley one is pants

Would you say this is an essentail piece of kit for a sparky? Ive drilled the odd cable, both occasions it was down to my own negligence failing to notice the electrical accessory directly below! So im not sure that even if I had this in my kit I would think to pull it out. What do you think? Im about to have a 'tool refresh'

Would you say this is an essentail piece of kit for a sparky? Ive drilled the odd cable, both occasions it was down to my own negligence failing to notice the electrical accessory directly below! So im not sure that even if I had this in my kit I would think to pull it out. What do you think? Im about to have a 'tool refresh'

Thats a difficult one Fox. I wouldn't say its one of your essential items like your snips or MFT, its more down to what each sparks wants. Some will say they have never used one and dont need one others that its very useful. I find it very useful!

I used it the other day to find a joist in a partion wall to put up a heavy wall mirror in a bathroom (couldn't hear any difference by just knocking the wall), but the detector found it straight away). Also when putting up downlights without access from above (which I found very useful recently).

Give one a go and if you dont think its for you sell it on e-bay :)

Just received mine tested it on a stud wall works a treat.....cable finder kinda works but is really misleading.

as happyhippydad says it will be really useful for running cable down stud walls and cutting out down lighters holes.

Also for securing accessories/anything to a "found batten" rather then having to use self drive plaster board fixings.

Thanks again mate ;)

Just wanted to update this a little..

Still like the thing but its not as great as I thought. It still does as its supposed to, i.e finds studs but I would say it is about 80% accurate rather than the degree I first thought.

Would still recommend it and I find it very useful but I would not call it brilliant as in my first post. I would also buy the one without the live cable function next time as when it finds a live cable this stops the stud finder function from working.

ps.. lesson learnt.... wait at least 6 months - 1 year before writing a review!

Last edited:

Reply to Zircon stud detector e50 in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net