Discuss zone question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

BS7671 does not define a good wine, but good wines do exist.

BS7671 does not define a good wine, but good wines do exist.

Yeah. It just might have clarified matters if it had said what it considered a device, that's all. Dictionaries seem to go for "a thing made or adapted for a particular purpose, especially a piece of mechanical or electronic equipment". I can picture the electrocutee's family's prosecuting counsel pointing his finger at the bit after the comma, and the defence counsel pointing his finger at the bit before.

- - - Updated - - -

'Ere, you said you were going to bed to liquor.

Yeah. It just might have clarified matters if it had said what it considered a device, that's all. Dictionaries seem to go for "a thing made or adapted for a particular purpose, especially a piece of mechanical or electronic equipment". I can picture the electrocutee's family's prosecuting counsel pointing his finger at the bit after the comma, and the defence counsel pointing his finger at the bit before.

- - - Updated - - -

'Ere, you said you were going to bed to liquor.
or `claretified`....

The plot thickens. 522.6.101(v) sets out the rules on zones. Horizontal/vertical zones are defined, quote "Where the cable is connected to a point, accessory or switchgear on any surface of the wall or partition". (Point means termination of fixed wiring for the connection of current using equipment - definitions).

Purely on the words of the Good Book...it has to be connected to the point, accessory or switchgear. A blanking plate is clearly not a point or switchgear. If a blanking plate were to be considered an accessory, then the cable would still have to be connected to it for it to define zones.

You can't connect anything to a blanking plate.

So purely on the horribly pedantic literal wording of BS7671, I therefore contend that a blanking plate does not define zones. I'm not asserting anything about actual practice out there in the real world.

Spot the man who trained to be a lawyer for a while...

Spot the man who trained to be a lawyer for a while...

Tangential top tip - on your quotes, put "This document is an invitation to tender, and is not to be taken as an offer to contract or as intent to form legal relations". Any discussion best kept to separate thread I guess.

Market is absolutely flooded with trainee and newly qualified lawyers. You're wasting your time with it unless you can get a training contract (first two years working for a firm as a trainee) and there aren't that many of them. You'd be surprised how many lawyers earn really pants money while working long hours. Those earning big money, at least in the first few years, are probably both working stupid hours (some big law firms have beds so the staff don't have to go home) and doing the kind of law I wouldn't want to do, i.e. making more money for people with too much money already and who will be first up against the wall when the revolution comes. Lots of what I was studying was boring me to tears (Land Law...sheesh) yet the bit I was doing was meant apparently to be the interesting bit. Also I would have missed being hands-on with stuff.

So you were training to be a lawyer then decided that you'd be better off in this game? Are you mad?.... I've not met many skint lawyers, sparkys on the other hand.....
its the ever revolving wheel now dont you know Trev....
you just jump on something (that sounded like a good title to have)....then when the boredom sets in...you hop off....then its back on quickly on another wedge of the `wheel of life`..someware with a new snazzy title...
like chuffin musical chairs or summat.....

I did law at A level and was fascinated by it but I completely understand what you said mate and I can get that some of the big firms would be like factories. Maybe you are better off here with honest hard working people :)

The term safe zone would imply that the cables in that zone are protected from assault,yeah,we are stretching the optimism a little wouldn't you say

How often do you get that blank look when trying to explain what they are to other trades

The greatest success the safe zone assault force had on one of my installs was a 20 x 20 foot bedroom

Young chippy possibly on his first solo venture
There were 4 double sockets,this chippy scored 4 direct hits out of 8 nails and the annoying part was the fixings were helpers only to the no nails he used as the main fix for the skirting board

Confession time guys, I was fitting some curtain battens for me daughter and drilling away quite happily then I realised oh bugger the cooker switch is right below where I'm drilling! Luckily I missed hehe

some kitchen fitters (couldn`t be anyone else could it..lol)...some kitchen fitters that stood there watching me make off some cables into the back of a switch....next thing i heard the rotary hammer going and just got there in time to stop him drilling directly underneath this switch to get a fix for his units....i knew a cable came down from this switch....he knew it n all as he had stood there looking at me make it off...
bloody menaces...

Its now time to give these kitchen butchers a break :nopity:

A lot of the fixings for cupboards are now on the edges of the cupboards,now, when its the one in the corner,the butchers knowing nothing about our secret safe zones have a good days target practice

Its now time to give these kitchen butchers a break :nopity:

A lot of the fixings for cupboards are now on the edges of the cupboards,now, when its the one in the corner,the butchers knowing nothing about our secret safe zones have a good days target practice
like chuff it is....
everywhare they turn up theres bound to be chaos....
on a serious note though....its high time that `safe zones` were taught to all trades....only then will we start to see some improvements..
call it ignorance Des....

its the ever revolving wheel now dont you know Trev....
you just jump on something (that sounded like a good title to have)....then when the boredom sets in...you hop off....then its back on quickly on another wedge of the `wheel of life`..someware with a new snazzy title...
like chuffin musical chairs or summat.....

25 years of IEE membership says take it and shove it :)

And yes that is before they decided to call themselves the IET. Which has made no difference whatsoever. Muppets.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to zone question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net