Discuss Zs question in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

bs7671

I have been asked to work out Zs,I have the Ze value and the r1 and r2,however I cant remember if there is a temp correction factor once I have found the right circuit breakers on table 41.3.I thought it was (r1+r2)+Ze+1.2? Im not entirely sure can anyone help?

Sort of right, 1.2 is the correction factor used when circuit designing. This is to give worst case scenario when conductor temp rises to 70c.

I think its supposed to be worst case so 70 degrees.To be honest I dont really understand why its not already corrected in the regs,instead of being abient temp

Its on a college madeup installation and we have been asked to calculate Zs but I think they want to catch us out thats why I am unsure of these correction factors.I know Zs=(r1+r2)+Ze but how and when does the temp correction thing come in to play???

Zs from the BRB would be the max reading for that circuit breaker in order for it to operating in time (ie 0.4 sec), however when taking these readings into account you should also take into consideration allowance for temp factor or use the rule of thumb of 80%.

Take your maximum allowed Zs and multiply by 0.8.

Is this what you mean?

Its on a college madeup installation and we have been asked to calculate Zs but I think they want to catch us out thats why I am unsure of these correction factors.I know Zs=(r1+r2)+Ze but how and when does the temp correction thing come in to play???

You don't correct your readings - your Zs is your Zs.....that's it.:)

The maximum figures from The Regs need to be corrected to allow for conductor operating temperature - so you multiply these figures by 0.8 and compare to your Zs.

The OSG figures are already corrected.;)

If you are designing a circuit and you want a design figure of Zs you use the mill ohms per meter values from OSG or GN3.
These are based on a temp of 20 degrees so you x them by 1.2 which converts to an equivalent reading at 70 degrees.
Now add this to your Ze and you have a design value of Zs which can be compared to max values in BS7671 which are at 70 degrees.

Is this on a ring or a radial?

Have you been asked to check the suitability of the calculated value? - If not i would think you are looking too deeply with regard to temperature correction. If yes then temp correction for the values in the brb are needed.

You don't do any correction to the Zs reading its self ever. THe corection is the regs book Zs figures need to be multiplied by 0.8 as they are cold values and once in service temp shopuld rise which will increase resistance and make a borderline acceptable instalation over the limit and possibly not disconect in time.

You can use your onsite guide for the corrected values to save you working it out as its already been done.

You normall use the correction factor for designe and currrent calculation etc if you are to find the Zs and know the R1 R2 and the Ze then its Zs = Ze + R1R2

Last edited by a moderator:
because you are measuring Zs at ambient temp. which is anywhere between 40deg.F and 80deg.F in this country. designed operating temp. of the cable is up to 160deg.F. convert that to foreign temp. comes to 70deg.C. hence the correctin factor

big difference here with upper and lower case letters. i can see why people get confused.

Reply to Zs question in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net