Discuss 16amp three phase sockets in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

i recomend you keep going mate do the am2 and Nvq quick as the format is changing this month, get youre gold card its the best toll you will ever need.

Fair enough, thanks for your help. Its just been a while since i've done anything and never done too much with three phase. I moved house recently hence why osg is buried but i shall get up there at the weekend and find it.

Ok Sam, that's the spirit. There has been sum very stupid questions popping up here lately and DIYers, just wanted to make sure no one blows themselves up....

The 2.5mm and 16amp mcb may not be enough due to start up current. You will have to check the manufactures info and see if its a soft start. Without knowing all the info I would say 4mm t+e with a 20amp C type mcb and ensure all connections are secure for the vibrations.

Best I can suggest Sam is keep the job as like us all we need the money and do little things on your days off, bit of fault finding or minor works if anyone needs, stay away from anything that needs notifying though. And come on here, ask questions, join in. We don't bite much......honest :)

i mean tool not toll lol!

So tempted to make a sarcastic comment, but I won't. Did the same thing this morning. I put "with offence" instead of "without offence". I was the "toll" on that occasion ;)

If you do it again just click the edit post button and change it.

Last edited:
AM2 is a jib requirement, think its usually a 3 day exam and 2 day coarse or something, its designed to test you’re practical skills and knowledge, think there is now a 30 question multiple choice at the end, just another way to make money out of the hardworking spark if you ask me but has to be done costs about £900

Ok Sam, that's the spirit. There has been sum very stupid questions popping up here lately and DIYers, just wanted to make sure no one blows themselves up....

The 2.5mm and 16amp mcb may not be enough due to start up current. You will have to check the manufactures info and see if its a soft start. Without knowing all the info I would say 4mm t+e with a 20amp C type mcb and ensure all connections are secure for the vibrations.
Dont think you should be using t&e on a 3 phase installation should you???? If it was a high starting current surely you would use a 16A D-type breaker, not a 20A as the sockets are only rated at 16A?

Dont think you should be using t&e on a 3 phase installation should you???? If it was a high starting current surely you would use a 16A D-type breaker, not a 20A as the sockets are only rated at 16A?

Glynnis hello... The OP says 3 sockets on a 3 phase supply. And not s 3 phase supply to A motor. Each phase can be fed on what I advised due to it not being a 3 phase motor. Please correct me if I'm wrong, I always take a telling off as education and not as criticising. You know more than me on this matter, I will bow my hat.

Glynnis hello... The OP says 3 sockets on a 3 phase supply. And not s 3 phase supply to A motor. Each phase can be fed on what I advised due to it not being a 3 phase motor. Please correct me if I'm wrong, I always take a telling off as education and not as criticising. You know more than me on this matter, I will bow my hat.
Paul hi, not having a go but the OP says 3, 3 phase sockets using singles, trunking and conduit, hence me saying i wouldnt advise using t&e.
Sorry if you think i was takin the wee, i think he was stating the obvious with his question and should have read what HE wrote?
Cheers, Glynnis.

Paul hi, not having a go but the OP says 3, 3 phase sockets using singles, trunking and conduit, hence me saying i wouldnt advise using t&e.
Sorry if you think i was takin the wee, i think he was stating the obvious with his question and should have read what HE wrote?
Cheers, Glynnis.

No offence taken mate. Back at college I hated motors and still do now, its just a subject I've got no interest in. This thread is about supplying power to the motor rated at 12A + the start up current it could spike up to around 20ish hence check if its a soft start motor. The sockets themselves can take a spike up to that amount but not a consistent load of 20A. I've read on the mk web site the results of there own testing on their db plastic sockets. I believe it can take 19.7A for a long duration until mechanical damage occurs due to heat. As for the t+e part who knows? As you've said/suggested it would be best in singles and flexible metal conduit if this is a workshop. I think we are all singing the same song but I may be out if key ha ha. Again, if I am wrong in any posts pull me up on it and I will not be offended. We all want to give our best advice to make sure they do the job correctly.

Problem with using t&e on 3 phase would mean you would have L1&N in one twin and L2&L3 in another and anybody looking after would not expext 415V in a t&e, it should either be in singles or at least within the same cable.
We do want to give the best advice but as i said he should have read his question as this was also his answer IMO?
Not here to offend just trying to pass on what seems like a thousand years of knowledge, trouble is at my age i can forget some poeple are just starting out in this career/calling/life, just trying to help.
Anyway us yorkies have to stick together, cheers.

Reply to 16amp three phase sockets in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net