Discuss 17th reg and osg. whats the difference ? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

castlon11

When i was at college my teacher told us that the only legal requirement book on electrics was the HSEs (EAW) Electrics at work act, the IEE regulations book were just recommendations and the on site guide was (obviously) just a guide to help but doesn't have to be put into practice. Am i still to believe this ???

Does anybody know different as it is said that you have to comply with the regs, whats the legality of it ?

2 x Questions.

Thanks.

bs7671 is a non statutory document, if you choose not to follow it then so be it, however if at a later a house burns down then you have no defense, whereas if bs7671 was followed then you did everything practable to ensure the installation was safe at time of construction.

Onsite guide is an easier book to read designed to be refered to "on-site" It doesn't go into as much detail as the Regs, and it also touches on a few other topics which are useful when on a job.
I'm regestered with ELECSA, and its a requirement by them that you own both books.

Your teacher needs shooting,
He is just trying to play smart, what he means is that bs7671 is not statutary and that the eaw publication is.

Why he has to confuse trainees this way is a mystery and mischiff making.

It's not a legal requirement to hold any documents, it's not a legal requirement to attend college and it's certainly not a legal requirement to add to the wages of idiots like your teacher.

You are going to college to learn a trade, you will not find one company in the uk that does not undertake electrical installation work to bs7671.
You will not find one part p scheme provider that does not insist that all its members work to bs7671 and all part p scheme providers inspect your work to bs7671.

Next in class ask him to explain to you to what standard he is teaching you.

bs7671 is a non statutory document, if you choose not to follow it then so be it, however if at a later a house burns down then you have no defense, whereas if bs7671 was followed then you did everything practable to ensure the installation was safe at time of construction.

As said BS7671 is a non statutory document but should you not follow it and something goes drastically wrong then it can be used in a court of law to prove that you did not comply with statutory documents such as the EAW Regs, CDM Regs etc.

it is said that you have to comply with the regs, whats the legality of it ?

As said by everyone else BS7671 is non statutory, but if you are told by an authority to comply with it then that is what you must do.

Approved Document P is statutory which means failure to comply is an offence.
In the document it states that you must work to BS7671, thus making BS7671 statutory for domestic dwellings in an indirect sort of way.

Hope that helps too.

BS7671 like before is a non statutory document that if followed will mean that you will more than likely comply with EAWR etc
The on site guide is just that an on site guide, a quick referal with rules of thumb applied and only the most often used information in

Lets put it this way, if there was ever a need (Heaven forbid) for you to prove that you completed your installation to a satisfactory standard, how else are you going to prove it?
If it were me, I'd want BS-7671 on my side that's for sure!

The bs7671 is non statutory but if you end up in court it can and will be used to prove your competence and if your work dose not comply with the regs you will be found incompetent and therefor guilty

The bs7671 is non statutory but if you end up in court it can and will be used to prove your competence and if your work dose not comply with the regs you will be found incompetent and therefor guilty

BS7671 is one way of installing to a satisfactory standard,It does not mean that another standard is less compliant
Different wiring methods in the European union are suitable standards
The guilty verdict is a bit premature

Reply to 17th reg and osg. whats the difference ? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net