Discuss 18th edition update in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

I won't mention the 15th Edition fiasco with earthing metal window frames! (ok I just did.)
Notice how the 15th Only lasted 10 years & how close the ammendments were; it's similar to the early editions where they were making it up as they go!!:rolleyes: Sometimes I think that it is an exercise in getting your name in print.

I remember as an apprentice having to earth hundreds of window frames in office blocks!:mad:glad my time was`nt wasted:mad::mad::mad:!

if the 18th comes out in 2011 then it might not be a bad thing for me as my 2330 L3 course finishes in 2011 so we might get updated to the 18th.

but anyways got to love the way our joke of a Goverment keeps finding ways to rip us off with BS qualification courses

i'm currently studying towrds my 2330 lvl 2 and will be going onto my lvl 3 next sept When in 2011 will they bring out the 18th if they do it at all?

Not in 2011 anyway!:confused:

What's all this talk of the 18th Edition in 2011? It's simply the first amendment to the 17th Edition which is due.

Hi
Could anyone tell me if there is any 17th Edition Amendments my regs book was brought when the 17th Edition was first brought in.

Thanks

The was a corrigedum brought out not long after the 17th first came out but that was basically to replace some errors not picked up during the proof reading.

Page not found - The IET

Last edited:
No ammendments yet but, they are on the way.:rolleyes:

They are indeed, as of next year although not sure what sort of time.

Stuff on surge protection in section 4, and lots of new fang dangly stuff in section 7 covering medical locations... I think there is going to be stuff about micro-generation too, but I could be wrong as I kind of drifted off after a while. The two mentioned earlier are going to be the big changes, and apparently there will be around another 50 pages to the regs!!

I don't think I could carry around an extra 50 pages in my regs book, so I think I'll just get a new book to keep it all neat. I hope it's blue, :)

I'm just not doing all this update crap any more. I can count on one hand how many times I've been asked about my quals! I normally answer, "well actually I don't need any quals, I'm a competent person. But it so happens I did go to college for 3 years, have my wiring regs and served some time with other contractors before I went on my own!"

Makes me wonder how the world coped before, without all this stuff they keep coming out with....

Who's all this rubbish for? It's certainly not for us...:mad:

Let's boycott the lot and hope that in the bargain nic go down the pan too. Now that would make my day...:D

It's a conspiracy I tell you, a damn conspiracy...;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Why blue???......they've done blue before, why not black, or silver for a change.:cool:

Cos I like blue... From previous editions though it looks like it's gonna be green, I don't like green...:(

Looks like I'm gonna have to wait for about another 5 years for the blue edition! :(

Do you mean in what country, or what form of employment?
I for one will not do the upgrade,just done my 17th renewed my jib card and cscs,ipaf licence and niceic domestic installer approved!!! officially skint and a guy phones me up with all the above asking me to check his work because hes only been doing it for 6 months!!!!!! im 20 years in and cant believe the industry has allowed texas jim and his like in so easily!!!
Pack up your bags boys and get the hell out of dodge !!!!
Gday mate throw another shrimp on the barbie!!!!
I know 2 sparks making a good living in oz,went there last year to check out all the waffle,lookin good!!!!
:cool:

i heard that as well from my tutor in 2011 their it is likely that a new regulation will come out, and it will have something to do with 1ohm, low voltage etc.

the only good thing is we have a 1 hour exam to do for the upgrade. yipeeee. wish u guys all the best cheers :)

dewandsons.

I understand how u feel dude. i just done mine in February 2010. after hearing this. i really am not looking forward to it. lol

the good thing is 1 hour upgrade...if we dont do the 18th and the 19th comes out sum point. we would have to do the whole 2 hours again....its an excellent nightmare lol

Well the last post in this thread was back in March this year, so I don't know why it's been commented on.

And no, of course there will no need to take another exam for an amendment!!

From what I have heard from the IET, because the amendment is so big (if you've downloaded the DPC you'll see that there are over 200 pages with alterations) a whole new book will need to be bought...

Happy days for all you people who are £60 worse off now, you'll soon be again!

Last edited:
From what I have heard from the IET, because the amendment is so big (if you've downloaded the DPC you'll see that there are over 200 pages with alterations) a whole new book will need to be bought...

Happy days for all you people who are £60 worse off now, you'll soon be again!

well i supose those poor people are lacking funds ,whey they didnt think about the ammendment in 2008 when 17th came in then there wouldnt need to be an ammendment and save us sparks some hard earned cash

I have just booked in for seventeenth in january after beging missus for cash and to the price to join one of the bodies plus the price of the testers!
this has to be a joke!
no one i speak to don't even now their is a 17th edition or part p!
i think i will cancel the lot i have paid enough hi ho silver and away!
you better all start complaining and protesting cause my prices are going to be cheaper than yours.

Major revisions are being proposed to the 17th Edition Wiring Regulations, including more detail on medical locations, measures against electromagnetic influence and devices for protection against overvoltage (surge protection). There will also be a name change from IEE Wiring Regulations to IET Wiring Regulations. There are also a number of minor ‘tweaks’ being considered.
At this stage, these are proposals and any changes won’t be published until June 2011, coming into force on 1st January 2012.
For more information about these revisions Electrical Times magazine have produced a comprehensive article including a video. This can found on their website.

They normally are free to download, the only problem this time around is that the amendment is so huge that you'll have to practically have a new book photocopied into your regs...

Reply to 18th edition update in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net