Discuss 1st NICEIC assment questions...? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

sythai

-
Arms
Reaction score
Not long now 2 weeks Thurs, got most stuff sorted out and ready. Just few odd questions keep springing up:

1/ Will I need to lock off supply whilst doing dead test, put up sign etc?

2/ Will I need to prove that the supply is dead with an approved test lamp as well as my megger mft1552?

3/ Will I need to prove that my tester is working ok? Not sure how I would do that or is calibrtion certificate ok?

Thanks,

Sy

Yes yes and yes that is all part of safe isolation which along with testing expected results and what could be wrong if you dont get the expected results are all to be known off by heart. If you dont have the safe isolation procedure PM me your email address and I will send a copy to you.

Good luck for the assessment.

Chris

Not long now 2 weeks Thurs, got most stuff sorted out and ready. Just few odd questions keep springing up:

1/ Will I need to lock off supply whilst doing dead test, put up sign etc?

2/ Will I need to prove that the supply is dead with an approved test lamp as well as my megger mft1552?

3/ Will I need to prove that my tester is working ok? Not sure how I would do that or is calibrtion certificate ok?

Thanks,

Sy

1) They like to see you have a means of locking off the supply, but rarely ask you to use it.
2) Nice set of combi's, G38 spec (They like the probes tipped) megger alone won't suffice.
3) You prove the testers on the live supply, make dead and test again. then one more time against live supply.

If your talking about your mft 1552, you should have a calibration check box to keep an historical record of calibrated readings and show you have a method of recording said readings. Also saves the need for proffesional calibration each year, provided readings remain within tolerance from check to check.

Ok cheers chaps... should stop listening to collegue of mine... 1st assesment last year - didnt even take cover off CU. Just a Zs and few questions !! Might have a shock this year if he gets a different chap.

I know that the assesor I'm getting is bang on with everything so I just want to be 110% ready.

Safe islolation: (from niceic testing + cert book page 13)

step1:
open means of isolation and lock off

step 2:
prove corrrect operation of voltage test instrument against a know source

step 3:
test with the voltage instrument all condutors of the circuit(s) to be worked on to verify that no dangerous voltage is present.

step 4:
prove voltage test instrument again against the known source to check that it was functioning correctly when the circuit(s) were tested for presence of voltage

... so I do all this before I even start to use my megger. withstep 2 + 4 what do I prove it on, what is a proving unit?

Yes to all mate.

I'm approved dont know what your going for but guess it will be the same.

You should have a little leaflet for the QS which says all.What they will want you to do on your first go is show you have the means and can do safe iso, from start to finish.
You need a proving system tests lamps( that conform not multimeter), lock offs and sign. Big heads up! when you lock off. show him you hold the key on your person dont lock off then leave on side. These boys want to come back again( wunt you for £240 site visit:))
He will wanna see you test installation. make sure you have that together in the right order. He will take records down of test results r1r2's zs's and rings maybe ask you how you why your putting in 6 amps on 1.mm rather than 32amps and how you find that info in the book. (its all about book refs)
if your testers are new then your ok with certs that come with. if old you need a record and process of how you test them (if do it yourself)

Just as long as your half way there their ok with that. nobodys a pro on there 1st go.if your too sure about your jobs below will help.
A tip off my old boss put some little departures in your work like missing tagging a switch wire. Or writing up your certs without full addresss. These guys will hunt for faults and questions will get asked which you cant answer if they dont.
Im not trying to scare you. Its really not that bad just remenber there working for the money too. no body gets a clean sheet. There keen about hot topics in regs spotlights, cord grips. things taped up if live.

Best of luck!! you will be on the niceic golf tour in no time:D

Do I really need to spend another 70 quid and have one of these Proving Unit ?!

Depends on if your just doing houses. like they say above fuse board m/s will do as a known source but isnt the proper means if you go on the website you can download help cards they show you using test probes with guards and proving unit.theres loads on ebay try getting a seaward if any as there cheap secong hand. pounds even.
If the blokes keen like you say 70 quid is cheap compared to a major non compliance and a revisit.It also shows your mindset to him, you wanna do a good job.Shows your keen and its not just a act for him.

Another one for you very helpful chaps....

If I'm asked to prove continuity on my main gas and water bonds.

Will a length of singles be frowned upon or am I expected to have a proper wander lead ?

And I'm right in thinking the reading has to be below 0.05?

A length of single cable will be fine done it on assesment like that a few times.

Another question again... wotta surprise!!

On kitchen job going to show for one of installs, lights, oven radial, new ring etc..

Hopefully he wont, but if he asks me to R1+R2 and IR on the ring not sure what I'm going to do... because will be a right pain in the **** to unplug a couple of fitted appliances. All off spurs to sockets in cupboards, but for fan socket it's in the chimney housing and customer isnt going to want me pulling this down ?! And for hob ignitor would have to remove couple of newly fitted drawers full up with stuff...

Am I just worrying about nothing ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopfully he won't ask you to pull the house apart to get at these items but he might as all electrical equipment must be accessible for operation, inspection & testing, maintenance and repair. 132.12

what happens when job done + 3 month down the road the plug top fuse goes?
Simples then, when it's your own kitchen and draws full of stuff, and no NIC chap breathing down your neck.... you remove the chimney housing for hood plug top and remove 2 drawers for dishwasher plugtop. Everything else in back of adjacent cupboard.

Oh well just thought I needed some thing to worry about :rolleyes: same sort of scenrion as mentioned in another post what happens if he asks me to IR the lighting circuit, will have 25 x GU10's to remove !!

Reply to 1st NICEIC assment questions...? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net