Discuss 2 x Ovens and a hob - can anyone help? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

just as an aside, i recently came across an installation where a 6.0mm cable on a 30A 3036 fuse had happily been supplying a sub-main feeding a free standing cooker and a 8.5kW shower. been fine for over 30 years. no sign of cable damage.

fiitted a 6 ring hob last week,came with a plug top ,super intelligent thing, knew when it was going to pull too much apparently ? and shut rings down temp ? before it happened

Think the comments are slightly unfair as no member has seen the job. If its only 3m away how hard isit going to be to wire 2x radial circuits to the ovens and put 20A dp switch above in the cupboard (assuming its larder unit). Could be easier/cheaper than faffing around with the old 6mm supply, and yes diversity proves it could take it but there is the chance you could overload it and guidance is for any fixed load appliance >2kw to be on a dedicated circuit.
Just saying

Thought diversity only applied to max demand, not design current. I know in the real world its another thing. I would try to separate supplies to some degree purely to ensure continuity of supply in case of a fault. One out all out, no good?!?

Think the comments are slightly unfair as no member has seen the job. If its only 3m away how hard isit going to be to wire 2x radial circuits to the ovens and put 20A dp switch above in the cupboard (assuming its larder unit). Could be easier/cheaper than faffing around with the old 6mm supply, and yes diversity proves it could take it but there is the chance you could overload it and guidance is for any fixed load appliance >2kw to be on a dedicated circuit.
Just saying
Hi bigspark17, to get the new cables would require either unsightly trunking along the entire length of the hall way or taking up the new carpet/chipboard upstairs to hide the cables. Neither ideal tbh. This is why I came on here to get a second opinion. It would seem that everyone has a different opinion :(

It would seem that everyone has a different opinion :(
The regs are concerned about safety, not standardisation, so there's more than one way to skin a cat. Design involves more than pulling a standard circuit out of your back pocket, you have to look at what's there and make a suitable design for the situation in front of you.
Your original sparky hasn't done that. However if you want 4 opinions then ask 2 people! And only 3 of them will comply with the regs, but everyone will swear blind theirs is the only one that complies.

It's a funny thing, getting professional guidance... In my experience some sparks over rate what is needed to be safe because they don't understand what is really required to be safe (fear of falling short of complex and somewhat vague regulation). Then you have another group that over exaggerate simply to line their own pockets. Together these two groups seem to account for a worryingly high % of sparks.

Then of course you have the other type that has the knowledge to confidently calculate what is required, and as a professional will offer to sell you nothing more or less than what they calculate is correct. I use this forum as I know that the sparks on here are driven predominantly by passion over profit - otherwise they wouldn't be on here talking about their work for free, after having already been at work all day! They still won't agree about method of course.. But generally there is collective agreement if something is definitely not right. It seems your local sparks plan was a bit ott... I'd go for a couple more quotes and consider how much confidence the person inspires, alongside whatever price/solution they give ;)

I've not had problems following the 6mm 32A approach myself, but I've one to do that's given me pause for thought. Biggest fully electric range (for household use) I've seen and says 14.5kW on specs. I thought, I know - I'll check with their tech department. They emailed advice of 45A OCPD and RCBO as it has 8mA leakage. :eek: . I felt like asking if that would improve if I cooked the elements for a while, but chickened out.

14.5KW on a 45A OCPD?

Diversity is one thing, but surely there must be a (considerably) greater than zero chance of everything being turned on all at once from time to time?

One only has to imagine Christmas dinner with a few of the relis to see how.

Even though the oven with the bird and the pigs-in-blankets in it will likely be up to temperature and thus only clicking in and out relatively infrequently as the crisis peak approaches just before the critical moment when dinner is ready to be served there are still going to be times when this will happen when you have the plates, stuffing, parsnips, beef (for those weirdos in the family that don't like turkey), and the roasties keeping warm in the second oven, and then the hob rings are being used to cook the carrots, peas (for those weirdos in the family that don't like mushy peas), sprouts (which have been on since the 1st of November just to make sure that they are properly cooked), mushy peas, cauliflower cheese (my sister-in-law does a stunning Christmas lunch but this is just plain weird of her), whilst the bread sauce (s-i-l weirdness again! :) ) and Xmas pud are slowly simmering away at the back.

I mean surely, this has got to test the endurance of the poor old 45A OCPD hasn't it? :D

just as an aside, i recently came across an installation where a 6.0mm cable on a 30A 3036 fuse had happily been supplying a sub-main feeding a free standing cooker and a 8.5kW shower. been fine for over 30 years. no sign of cable damage.
I’ve seen that before shower piggy backed from cooker switch how the hell they fitted two 6mms in I’ll never know none of them even had cores chopped to fit I got the call because the cooker isolator smelled like fish when the shower was on :rolleyes:

14.5KW on a 45A OCPD?

Diversity is one thing, but surely there must be a (considerably) greater than zero chance of everything being turned on all at once from time to time?

One only has to imagine Christmas dinner with a few of the relis to see how.

Even though the oven with the bird and the pigs-in-blankets in it will likely be up to temperature and thus only clicking in and out relatively infrequently as the crisis peak approaches just before the critical moment when dinner is ready to be served there are still going to be times when this will happen when you have the plates, stuffing, parsnips, beef (for those weirdos in the family that don't like turkey), and the roasties keeping warm in the second oven, and then the hob rings are being used to cook the carrots, peas (for those weirdos in the family that don't like mushy peas), sprouts (which have been on since the 1st of November just to make sure that they are properly cooked), mushy peas, cauliflower cheese (my sister-in-law does a stunning Christmas lunch but this is just plain weird of her), whilst the bread sauce (s-i-l weirdness again! :) ) and Xmas pud are slowly simmering away at the back.

I mean surely, this has got to test the endurance of the poor old 45A OCPD hasn't it? :D
Especially with two lots of mushy peas ;)

The Tech Person stated 45A was their advised minimum OCPD rating after diversity was taken into account. I'm quoting for 10mm and 50A rcbo and fittings. I'll report back with max current and leakage and we'll see if the Customer's money was well spent. But that may not be till January the speed these guys are moving.

Reply to 2 x Ovens and a hob - can anyone help? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net