Discuss 2 x sockets : EICR . What would you code . Then another question ! in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

LukeD

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
First : here are 2 x sockets .What code would you give and why ? 3rd pick you can see rear thermal damage on double socket

second : Roof above bathroom has terrible leaks . Lights spark and buzz etc when raining .Video evidence shown to tester . tester says it not a C1 or C2 as its not raining despite the videos taken when it does .So as inspected its not a issue . Thoughts >??

Attachments

• bf98ff10-a35d-4c49-8da8-60b032200d7a.jpeg
    86.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 3d1d6333-6fdc-420a-8d34-20abf894b9dd.jpeg
    176 KB · Views: 29
  • 06ff25ac-85fb-43e5-95fb-4289167ad9bc.jpeg
    448.9 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Already covered in BPG #4:

Fire/Heat - C2 - Evidence of excessive heat (such as charring from electrical equipment causing damage to the installation or its surroundings)

Replacement would appear to be the obvious course of action to anyone with half a brain...

As for the second issue I think this covers it in BPG #4:

Equipment/Accessories - C2 - Electrical equipment having an inadequate degree of ingress protection (IP rating) for the external influences likely to occur in the location, if this results in potential danger

But I think @littlespark has summed it up perfectly.

Tester said its not even a C3 !!
Its a "charity job" as usual . For a vulnerable person . So Ive given my report but also offered to "put it out there" so the other people helping her can see others opinion etc etc

Sockets are definite C2’s in my eyes.

With regards to the lighting issue, first and foremost she needs to get that roof fixed to stem the leaks, then a good inspection to see what accessories / wiring has water damage and needs replacing. C2/FI

And as above, sack the tester.

What is slightly curious is it appears to be the N pin in both cases that has burnt out, often when plugs go bad it is the L with the fuse that runs hotter. I wonder if they had an electric heater with a bad plug that was responsible for both?

If the lights spark and buzz when it rains.... what's an IR showing up during testing? Maybe everything works ok when its not raining, but it cant be bone dry.

EICR section 5, item 18...... (on my particular sheets anyway)
"Condition of accessories including socket-outlets, switches and joint boxes (651.2(v))"

Minimum C2. Maybe not "immediately" dangerous.... but its not going to take much for that to fail completely.

tester had an email .Reminding of BPG and also its an obvious C2 .And Perhaps he should concentrate a little better rather than trying to give a "nicer " report for the landlord who has a Council complaint been made against them etc

First : here are 2 x sockets .What code would you give and why ? 3rd pick you can see rear thermal damage on double socket

second : Roof above bathroom has terrible leaks . Lights spark and buzz etc when raining .Video evidence shown to tester . tester says it not a C1 or C2 as its not raining despite the videos taken when it does .So as inspected its not a issue . Thoughts >??
If the sockets are replaced than the test is carried out. There is no reason to put this in the certificate as any C code

Sockets are definite C2’s in my eyes.

With regards to the lighting issue, first and foremost she needs to get that roof fixed to stem the leaks, then a good inspection to see what accessories / wiring has water damage and needs replacing. C2/FI

And as above, sack the tester.
If the sockets have been replaced why would you list it.?

Welcome to the forum, @uc1987 and you bring up a very good point.

@LukeD, Were these sockets replaced?
I admit, I originally didn’t see the third photo showing the backs of them…. Had they been removed for replacement, or just removed, photo, and put back on?

I suppose the other issue, it can be argued that there was no fault on the lights “at the time of the test”…. But I would still think there would be signs of dampness under an IR test.

Maybe low, but not low enough to say it’s a fault?

Looks like this is an overload and negligence by the user whoever that maybe. You would have to test the circuit and then determine whether it's the socket or a wiring issue and then code accordingly.

Reply to 2 x sockets : EICR . What would you code . Then another question ! in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net