Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss 2391 V NICEIC - Whats the point in 2391?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Sparky10

Sparky10 Regular EF Member

Hi Guys,

A debate at work and im slightly confused and thought maybe someone here may shed some light.

What is the point in doing your 2391 Testing course? Apparently to be NIC Registered you do not need to have 2391 Inspection & Testing & You are able to sign work off.
    However if you have your 2391 you are still unable to sign work off as your are not NIC Registered?

It seems all a bit backward if you ask me how can you be unqualified and sign work off? but maybe there is truth in what i am being told.

If so why do the 2391 when you could sign up to NIC for less then half the price.

Thanks Guys

2. Taylortwocities

Taylortwocities Electrician's Arms

Is 2391 still a C&G course?

3. Dillb

Dillb Electrician's Arms

Yes they have reintroduced it, but as always it been dumbed down a little I believe its even a open book exam now. Although the numers after the 2391 have changed so you can tell which course people have done.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Dillb

Dillb Electrician's Arms

Your 2391 will prove competence, while the NICEIC will.......no better not dont want to be banned this early into my return.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Andy78

Andy78 Respected Member

Same reason to take any course, to improve your understanding of a particular subject and to be able to prove that to others.

You can test and issue certificates with a possession of basic competence, the kind that is gained during normal training to be an electrician.

Joining a competent persons scheme would facilitate the notification of work to building control.

Depends what you mean by "sign off"

The 2391 is the current course code used by City and guilds. It's basically the 2394/5 renamed and made open book examinations.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Just to be clear the NIC aren't the only scheme:

Napit
    Stroma
    BSI
    Elecsa (NIC)
    NIC

• Like Like x 1
  7. Rpa07

Rpa07 3000 posts - only 50554 behind Telectrix! Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Ebenezer electrical
    Welcome back Dillb, how about putting that face of yours back on the avatar?

• Like Like x 2
  8. Dillb

Dillb Electrician's Arms

I will do, just need to find a updated picture of my ugly mush.

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. Sparky10

I am aware of all the schemes, Just NIC is most recognized so i mentioned them to make the thread straight forward. But thanks

10. Wilko

Wilko Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
    If I understand correctly, to do electrical work in accord with BS7671 one needs to be competent. So the qualification is "competence". What is competence, I hear you ask? Being assessed and accepted by a Competent Persons Scheme is one measure perhaps ( o_O ). I can't speak for the Nice Guys, but with my mob they judge competence for EICR is shown when you have practical evidences and a training qualification (2391 for example).

• Like Like x 2
  11. Sparky10

yes doing any course would improve your understanding, but my question is why would you pay & take the 2391-52( i believe it is now) and still be unable to walk into someone's property and issue a certificate that adequate enough? I believe you should be allowed to be Part of these schemes without having the 2391

12. Anthony S

Anthony S Regular EF Member

One example of the point of the 2391 is that when big Electrical companies look to take on electricians to carry out inspection and testing on large projects, commercial/industrial they tend to only employ sparks with it.

I've just been on a large industrial warehouse carrying out a periodic and it was 2391, 17th edition JIB Approved Gold card holders only.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Sparky10

Hi Wilko, it is my understanding you do not even need 2391 to be part of these competent schemes, Its something i have just been told (after booking my testing course) then being told if i want to join these schemes i have to be assessed AGAIN (surely showing them my 2391 would of been enough) and then another fee to join.

14. MDJ

MDJ The Muppet Police Forum Mentor

You won't be able to help yourself, it's in your blood lol

• Like Like x 2
  15. Andy78

Andy78 Respected Member

You CAN issue a certificate for your work with or without testing and inspection quals, and with or without scheme membership. Like I said it's notifying work that is made easier with scheme membership.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1