Discuss 25mm SWA for tails chased in wall in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hiya.

I suspect I already know the answer to this but I would welcome any opinion from anyone who's tried it...
Moving a domestic consumer unit 2M up a wall. Ideally I don't want to use trunking. Debating whether I could get away with 25mm SWA chased into the wall but I don't recall using 25mm SWA and although on paper it can be done (with 7mm left for plaster) I am doubtful I can get/bend the inner cores into the rear access hole of the ccu.
Does anyone reckon I could or am I in the land of fairies?

You would need to gland the armour to earth properly at least on one end anyway, ideally both.

Either way it is going to be hard to bend it in that sort of a spacing.

You might have more luck with some 25mm conduit and 25mm^2 tri-rated cable (ferruled at the ends, naturally) with the CPC run alongside the conduit (as it does not need protection against being nailed from a shock point of view) or in some additional conduit along side (steel or plastic, so it can be pulled). Obviously both L&N must run in the same conduit due to eddy currents.

You would need to gland the armour to earth properly at least on one end anyway, ideally both.

Either way it is going to be hard to bend it in that sort of a spacing.

You might have more luck with some conduit and 25mm tri-rated cable (ferruled at the ends, naturally) with the CPC run alongside the conduit (as it does not need protection against being nailed from a shock point of view) or in some additional conduit along side (steel or plastic, so it can be pulled). Obviously both L&N must run in the same conduit due to eddy currents.
Protective conductors are also required to enter ferromagnetic enclosures in the same entry as the live conductors, so it shouldn't be run separately from them.

Protective conductors are also required to enter ferromagnetic enclosures in the same entry as the live conductors, so it shouldn't be run separately from them.
Really, why?
They don't normally carry current, and when they do it is (or should not be!) long enough to heat via eddy current losses.
Often the CPC is bonded to the outside of some steel enclosure far from the entry point.

Really, why?
They don't normally carry current, and when they do it is (or should not be!) long enough to heat via eddy current losses.
Often the CPC is bonded to the outside of some steel enclosure far from the entry point.
It's a long-standing requirement of BS7671.

you could use "normal" tails in 40 x 16 trunking, but sink the trunking into the wall so that just the lid is proud.

Earthing SWA wouldn't be an issue as I would intend to do it in the supply cupboard via a smaller enclosure (some --- has put the meter in the middle of the backing board leaving no room for a ccu ?).
I agree the earth has to be with the L & N.
The owners don't want anything unsightly such as a trunking lid (I wouldn't either to be honest).
I think I might have a walk to Denmans and have a play with some swa to decide (though I suspect they won't let me due to this damn Covid arhhh!)

Talking of which, is anyone else finding customers are refusing to mask up when talking to you? The last 3 I've had haven't done - despite me requesting. Driving me CRAZY ?

521.5.1 mentions this, though oddly only talks about additional CPC in parallel with SWA being permitted to enter separately, not in parallel with conduit which is essentially the same thing (earthed ferromagnetic surround to the live conductors, and possibly also a CPC).

I think I might have an easier solution ?
The meter doesn't have a seal on it so I might move the meter (shush!) to where the wylex is, remove the rest of the junk and then hopefully fit a box on the right hand side..
Why are the metallic ccu's bigger than the plastic ones? I thought things were meant to get smaller in time ?
IMG_20201030_141025.jpg

That is a pretty messy set-up.

Yes, the old Wylex rewirable boxes are really compact, but that presents a problem now for any upgrades after it is boxed in and mic crap fitted along side it.

Reply to 25mm SWA for tails chased in wall in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net