Discuss 3 way switch with a problem in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all
Iv replaced a three way switch in my passage and I thought I followed the way the old one was wired up

Got the old black and red wire

Iv attached a pic
This runs the Hall way light also has its own switch , kitchen light only on this switch and the upstairs landing also has its own switch

The first switch the Hall way light now doesn’t work but when I turn the actual Hall way one on it works not from the three way , also of the three way first switch is down the other two won’t work , i must have a wire the wrong way , any help would be greatly appreciated

D8282ECD-C1DF-48A6-8206-71D7C833E4BA.jpeg

Ignoring that there is too much exposed copper on show, nothing is sleeved, no cpc (earth) to the faceplate, the mess the cpc's (earths) are in the photo...

Did you take a photo before you started?

This job should be straightforward with care.
There are concerns about the effectiveness and safety of the wiring.
I attach an annotated picture outlining the main points raised by 123 and a possible solution.
You must ensure the power is off before you start, the connections circled in white need to be re terminated so that only the red or black insulation is visible and not the copper. The bare copper earth cables in the black square need to be sleeved in green and yellow sleeving, individually and connected to the earth terminal on the face plate indicated by the yellow outlined black arrow. The black cables should have a short brown sleeve over them to identify them as line conductors.
It is generally not possible to identify a wiring error on a light switch however the most likely fault is probably the interchange of the two wires connected by the thick white arrow, assuming the rest of the wiring is close to accurate, which cannot be assured.
Three gang switch annotated.jpg

Ignoring that there is too much exposed copper on show, nothing is sleeved, no cpc (earth) to the faceplate, the mess the cpc's (earths) are in the photo...

Did you take a photo before you started?
Agree, get an electrician in to identify where and what the cables are and do the job properly and safely, as it stands it's a mess.

I took a photo yes but my daughter was playing with my phone and deleted it ... the wiring in this house is a mess , I will call the electrician in , its just bizzare how two work and one won’t from that switch

what he said^^^^. post you location and one of us may be close.

See if the photo that got deleted is in the deleted folder - it would be very controlled of her to delete a photo by playing with your phone and then delete it also from the deleted file, by playing with your phone! If she is that tech savvy, get her to fix the lighting switch!
Good advice given above and welcome to the forum AKA the ‘last chance saloon ‘

See if the photo that got deleted is in the deleted folder - it would be very controlled of her to delete a photo by playing with your phone and then delete it also from the deleted file, by playing with your phone! If she is that tech savvy, get her to fix the lighting switch!
what he said^^^^. post you location and one of us may be close.
north Shields , Tyne and Wear

Thanks for that , if she could wire the thing it would be done

Reply to 3 way switch with a problem in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net