Discuss 3 week wonder training newbie in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Maybe they feel like they are the lepers of the community and don't advertise it... Just like us smokers..
I don't feel like a leper and would admit freely to being a domestic installer if I was.
I went from domestic installer to approved contractor 2 years ago. I did this because I wanted to do more comercial and industrial. If it wasn't for that reason I would happily of remained a domestic installer.

The domestic installer route is the only route available for some older learners.
I was lucky as an older learner as I was employed by a company when I did my level 2 and level 3 electrical technical, 17th and domestic installer course so was able to learn on the tools and at college. I was registered through them and learned on the job until I left and became a self employed registered with niceic as a domestic installer.

I am happy to welcome new domestic installers to this forum as it's clear they are hear to learn.

A word of warning to newbies. Lots on hear will say to you if have to ask you shouldn't be doing it.
I say if you don't know and don't ask you shouldnot be doing it. So ask away.

Do we have them here? I don't think I've actually met a domestic installer
If we are using titles then I am technically a domestic installer as i am registered with the NICEIC DI scheme. May gain the AC status when the commercial stuff picks up locally. I got my 2365, 17th, 18th etc due soon to do the 2391. Circumstances meant when i left the forces the nvq3 and am2 were not realistic or practical. that being said I have met people with all the certificates and am2 etc who i wouldnt trust to change a socket!! other people i have met have no formal qualifications but years as a mate or labourer who i would trust to wire my own place without concern.

Domestic installer course covers:
Basic cable calcs
Testing for Initial verification
Certification
Notification criteria
Basic building regs partM etc..

It does not cover practical applications or instalation.
That is learnt on site.

Welcome to forum lekky1

Thanks , it does cover some aspects of installation , week 1 key stage we wire rings, radials, lighting circuits, cooker circuuts and consumer units.

For the 4th week they wire up complete mock flats.

Key Stage Electrician Course – (Duration 5 Days)
This course was designed specifically for people with little or no experience of electrical work who are looking to either pursue a career as an electrician (self-employed or employed), combine it with an existing trade or to undertake your own property renovations. We will show you how to install electrical circuits inside and outside of properties and equip you with the essential knowledge and skills required to complete our Domestic Electrician Course.

Part P Course City & Guilds 2393 – (Duration 2 Days)
This Part P course will deliver an excellent understanding and working knowledge of the Building Regulations which have been in place since the 1st January 2005. Part P of the Building regulations is specific to electrician’s safety within domestic dwellings and covers the dos and don’ts we must follow as domestic Installers when working in somebody’s house.

18th Edition Wiring Regulations 2018 City & Guilds 2382 – (Duration 3 Days)
The objective of this course is to give you an excellent understanding of the current wiring regulations that electricians need to follow when doing any electrical installation work. This qualification is essential to be able to apply and join a government approved Part P competent scheme.

Inspection and Testing City & Guilds 2392 – (Duration 5 Days)
In this course we will show you how to inspect and test any new or altered electrical circuits starting with dead tests to prove it is safe to turn the power back on and then live tests to prove that the circuits are safe and meet current wiring regulations criteria. You will then be shown how to complete the required paperwork (Schedule of Test Results) that needs to be left with the consumer unit/fuse box to comply with Part P of the Building Regulations.

I don't feel like a leper and would admit freely to being a domestic installer if I was.
I went from domestic installer to approved contractor 2 years ago. I did this because I wanted to do more comercial and industrial. If it wasn't for that reason I would happily of remained a domestic installer.

The domestic installer route is the only route available for some older learners.
I was lucky as an older learner as I was employed by a company when I did my level 2 and level 3 electrical technical, 17th and domestic installer course so was able to learn on the tools and at college. I was registered through them and learned on the job until I left and became a self employed registered with niceic as a domestic installer.

I am happy to welcome new domestic installers to this forum as it's clear they are hear to learn.

A word of warning to newbies. Lots on hear will say to you if have to ask you shouldn't be doing it.
I say if you don't know and don't ask you shouldnot be doing it. So ask away.
Thanks for your support
I'm new and I'm here to learn, I want to be very good at my job, I'm 39 and run a busy business that requires me doing the work and getting it inspected tested and certified or waiting for a busy electrician to fit me in, so was the fastest route to gain knowledge and experience, I admit I'm not all seeing and all knowing, but I am a keen learner.
I know I will get the odd slating on here but that's life, my dad is a builder and the work he has shown me of some electricians, that have worked in the industry for 20+ years us frankly shocking, only the other day the sparks had connected the N&CPC the wrong way around in the consumer unit , just saying!

Welcome lekky1.
I dont see why you should get negative comments for being honest, you haven't done anything wrong but im not going to lie mate, I dont like these courses !
I think they are dangerous and misleading. Its the fault of the trainning centres and not the students.

Some people are very capable of carrying out work to a suitable standard, but some people cant use a hammer. I wonder how do you assess that in 3 weeks ? In your case, with your background and even by registering here shows you have the right ethics, and you can obviously use tools already.
But I bet you had some right numptys on your course that have never picked up a hammer, and its quite probable that now these people or others like them are driving around in brand new VW Transporters wiring up old ladys houses to a very poor standard.

Last edited:
Thanks , it does cover some aspects of installation , week 1 key stage we wire rings, radials, lighting circuits, cooker circuuts and consumer units.

For the 4th week they wire up complete mock flats.

Key Stage Electrician Course – (Duration 5 Days)
This course was designed specifically for people with little or no experience of electrical work who are looking to either pursue a career as an electrician (self-employed or employed), combine it with an existing trade or to undertake your own property renovations. We will show you how to install electrical circuits inside and outside of properties and equip you with the essential knowledge and skills required to complete our Domestic Electrician Course.

Part P Course City & Guilds 2393 – (Duration 2 Days)
This Part P course will deliver an excellent understanding and working knowledge of the Building Regulations which have been in place since the 1st January 2005. Part P of the Building regulations is specific to electrician’s safety within domestic dwellings and covers the dos and don’ts we must follow as domestic Installers when working in somebody’s house.

18th Edition Wiring Regulations 2018 City & Guilds 2382 – (Duration 3 Days)
The objective of this course is to give you an excellent understanding of the current wiring regulations that electricians need to follow when doing any electrical installation work. This qualification is essential to be able to apply and join a government approved Part P competent scheme.

Inspection and Testing City & Guilds 2392 – (Duration 5 Days)
In this course we will show you how to inspect and test any new or altered electrical circuits starting with dead tests to prove it is safe to turn the power back on and then live tests to prove that the circuits are safe and meet current wiring regulations criteria. You will then be shown how to complete the required paperwork (Schedule of Test Results) that needs to be left with the consumer unit/fuse box to comply with Part P of the Building Regulations.

This is a joke. I am utterly appalled by this.

Those that sell this should be up in court.

Welcome lekky1.
I dont see why you should get negative comments for being honest, you haven't done anything wrong but im not going to lie mate, I dont like these courses !
I think they are dangerous and misleading. Its the fault of the trainning centres and not the students.

Some people are very capable of carrying out work to a suitable standard, but some people cant use a hammer. I wonder how do you assess that in 3 weeks ? I your case, with your background and even by registering here shows you have the right ethics, and you can obviously use tools already.
But I bet you had some right numptys on your course that have never picked up a hammer, and its quite probable that now these people or others like them are driving around in brand new VW Transporters wiring up old ladys houses to a very poor standard.

Yes I agree, there will always be some on these courses that can't use tools or logic, and probably shouldn't be aloud out of the house let alone loose on some body else's electrics, fortunately most of these people don't have the confidence to go it alone, I've seen a council sparky wire a consumer unit upgrade behind the gas meter because he couldn't be arsed to extend the cables , he of course removed the gas meter then refitted it after install was complete

Don't think you can beat the recognised apprenticeship route, but as my oldest is finding it hard to gain a place on an apprenticeship these courses keep pinging up. And I must admit Im not convinced they would provide the recommended experience or quals to get status of Electrician through the JIB?

Don't think you can beat the recognised apprenticeship route, but as my oldest is finding it hard to gain a place on an apprenticeship these courses keep pinging up. And I must admit Im not convinced they would provide the recommended experience or quals to get status of Electrician through the JIB?
I agree, on there own they wouldn't, but after gaining these basic quals, on site experience and more advanced courses over a few years would.

This is very much like when I passed all my aircraft electrics and avionics stuff. My first real world was full of older boys saying your not a real fairy/greeny (spark) we learnt to component level. Shame the old ----s couldn't turn a computer on. Times change and so does the model of teaching. In the old days you learn in college to count to 5 then on site would get you to 10. Now it's learn to 1 then learn the rest on site. Quicker cheaper and in the end you get the same result. I've worked with old sweats who were terrible with wiring hand skills and even basic calcs. But some of my apprentices were amazing and just needed confidence. I bet you will soon see commercial and industrial root the same as DI.

Paul- if your son/daughter doesn’t mind training for 2-3years they can get full gold card requirements for JIB without doing short courses.

A lot of colleges offer 2365 level 2 and 3 as evening courses (two evenings a week)- one year for level 2 (less than £2000 in most places and paid in instalments over the year), another year for level 3 (paid for by government no matter how old you are or what previous qualifications you have, but only if done at a college and not a training centre).

They can then do the NVQ Level 3 in the third year- or alongside the level 3 which is what I am doing now. NVQ is about £1000 and you need to do the AM2 which is about £400-500.

Plus you can be working in the industry throughout as a mate/improver somewhere to gain experience and earn while you learn!

This is very much like when I passed all my aircraft electrics and avionics stuff. My first real world was full of older boys saying your not a real fairy/greeny (spark) we learnt to component level. Shame the old ****s couldn't turn a computer on. Times change and so does the model of teaching. In the old days you learn in college to count to 5 then on site would get you to 10. Now it's learn to 1 then learn the rest on site. Quicker cheaper and in the end you get the same result. I've worked with old sweats who were terrible with wiring hand skills and even basic calcs. But some of my apprentices were amazing and just needed confidence. I bet you will soon see commercial and industrial root the same as DI.
Oh, so that's why the industry is going to pot and the general standard of work has descended so much, I suppose?
Like you say....quicker and cheaper...but when it comes to getting the same results, no way.

Oh, so that's why the industry is going to pot and the general standard of work has descended so much, I suppose?
Like you say....quicker and cheaper...but when it comes to getting the same results, no way.
Now you say that I completely agree. Whilst I'm not an electrical installer and don't have am2 etc I do maintain all control and power electrics to over 2000 machines and install new equipment. I've just seen my mate who has the 5 day course do a gate install and......... it was pants!!! He knows all the lingo and everything like that but my god it was horrendous!!!

Reply to 3 week wonder training newbie in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net