Discuss 30A JB's and 32A ring final circuits in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

I had a case in the spring. On carrying out R1+R2 tests there was no cpc continuity at the metal kitchen light fitting, although the owner had connected the cpc when he put the fitting up.
Couldn't access the space between the kitchen and bathroom above due to glued laminate flooring in the bathroom, so had to cut a hole in the kitchen ceiling, hoping to find where the problem was.
Here's what I found, thanks to someone who thought JB's under floorboards were a good idea...
WP_000107.jpg

Attachments

• WP_000109.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 70
Usually sparks who throw J.B under floors do it as a quick bodge and get out job. The majority of these found under floors usually either have A) Lid missing. B) CPC wrapped around the outside with no adequate termination. C) overfilled to the point where cables are not even screwed down properly creating inconsistent ring results.
D) A starting point for multispuring leaving cables incorrectly protected by the protective device employed.

In Short a bodje which can be eliminated by rewiring where additions are required FULL STOP!

JB under floorboards covered by carpet is inaccessible, simple.
Using JB's in this day and age when we have Wagos and lineproducts....Inexcusable. Why even argue the point when we have quick and easy MF kits available.

Where do you get your MF kits from? Do you buy bulk on-line or do you pick them up from the wholesalers?
Edit: Also what would you say the best brand is? as in ease of use, practicality and quality etc?

Last edited by a moderator:
Usually sparks who throw J.B under floors do it as a quick bodge and get out job. The majority of these found under floors usually either have A) Lid missing. B) CPC wrapped around the outside with no adequate termination. C) overfilled to the point where cables are not even screwed down properly creating inconsistent ring results.
D) A starting point for multispuring leaving cables incorrectly protected by the protective device employed.

In Short a bodje which can be eliminated by rewiring where additions are required FULL STOP!

you are talking rubbish a void is a void. so wat its part of the job.

I'll open myself up for a telling off here and ask the question, How often does a properly put together joint box cause a problem and need to be found?

All of the times i've had a fault which traced back to a hidden joint box, or required access to one it was incorrectly fitted or located.

I'll open myself up for a telling off here and ask the question, How often does a properly put together joint box cause a problem and need to be found?

All of the times i've had a fault which traced back to a hidden joint box, or required access to one it was incorrectly fitted or located.

Dave never if its jointed correctly ,the old splice method lol

My thoughts exactly, if the joint is installed properly it doesn't go wrong.
With this 'maintenance free can be hidden anywhere' attitude in the world how many incorrectly put together maintenance free joints are we going to be hunting for in the near future?

Now that the MF kits are available the old style screw lid 30a JB should be withdrawn altogether!! Still at least they were better than the attitude of 'lets cut the cable and join it with connector blocks'

Where do you get your MF kits from? Do you buy bulk on-line or do you pick them up from the wholesalers?
Edit: Also what would you say the best brand is? as in ease of use, practicality and quality etc?

Lineproducts (one of our sponsors) stock all the enclosures, push connectors, MF connectors and MF kits you could ever need for domestic.
Once you've used this gear, you'll never use an old style JB again...

Thanks mate.

Use Hager ones sometimes but bit pricey from wholesalers.

Seriously Chris, the Line "torpedos" are really versatile and the connectors just slip inside. Cord gripping is done with cable-ties, so no messing about with a screwdriver either. As such, there's no need to clip or fix the enclosures in place. Can't recommend them enough, especially in tight spaces when you're at full stretch.

Seriously Chris, the Line "torpedos" are really versatile and the connectors just slip inside. Cord gripping is done with cable-ties, so no messing about with a screwdriver either. As such, there's no need to clip or fix the enclosures in place. Can't recommend them enough, especially in tight spaces when you're at full stretch.

Yeah just looking at those now, am going to invest in some. Few other sparks i know have recommended them to me also. Will give me better peace of mind after joining cables with these instead of the old screw terminal "pork pie" jobby's.

A couple of years ago there was someone in our wholesalers peddling those black egg shaped things.

They looked and felt awful, cheap thin plastic, held together with cable ties, bodge a bit of heatshrink round it to make it IP rated.

Looking at the pictures on here i've yet to see one neatly put together and easy to follow for the next person, they look like a mess of wires squidged together. To me they just look like a bodge it together and shove it under the floorboards soloution.

A couple of years ago there was someone in our wholesalers peddling those black egg shaped things.

They looked and felt awful, cheap thin plastic, held together with cable ties, bodge a bit of heatshrink round it to make it IP rated.

Looking at the pictures on here i've yet to see one neatly put together and easy to follow for the next person, they look like a mess of wires squidged together. To me they just look like a bodge it together and shove it under the floorboards soloution.

They're a damn site tougher than any heavy duty JB I've used in the last 26 years.

The worst thing about jb's under a floor is when you're feeling about under a board and your finger brushes against something and you suddenly realise it's a jb with no cover on,then you try and get your hand out without getting a belt.

Reply to 30A JB's and 32A ring final circuits in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net