Discuss A Calibrated Question (Multi Meters) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Never trust these calibration days. I have said before we sent some in and mixed in by accident was an analogue insulation continuity tester which just read open continuity all the time. Came back with a calibration certificate so i tried it, still open continuity even with various leads.

Never trust these calibration days. I have said before we sent some in and mixed in by accident was an analogue insulation continuity tester which just read open continuity all the time. Came back with a calibration certificate so i tried it, still open continuity even with various leads.
Exactly .... its a "Drive by calibration" service .

Covers resistance and IR, but obviously not RCD trip times and levels.
That is the aspect of my MFT I can't check myself. The closest I can do is test one of my home sockets to see it has not changed much which, while better than nothing, is not quite enough to be sure.

I have a CalCard and really would recommend it as a handy way to check the low/high R ranges. I also have other meters that can be used to verify AC volts but the Zs & RCD stuff then I only have the one MFT.

That is the aspect of my MFT I can't check myself. The closest I can do is test one of my home sockets to see it has not changed much which, while better than nothing, is not quite enough to be sure.

I have a CalCard and really would recommend it as a handy way to check the low/high R ranges. I also have other meters that can be used to verify AC volts but the Zs & RCD stuff then I only have the one MFT.

The Metrel Eurocheck checkbox is very good as it does RCD and Zs tests as well as the IR/resistance checks. But I've just checked the current price is nearly £350.

The Metrel Eurocheck checkbox is very good as it does RCD and Zs tests as well as the IR/resistance checks. But I've just checked the current price is nearly £350.
Interesting to see, a lot cheaper than the usual cal systems (they are £5k-15k I believe) but not quite enough for a single MFT, given the cal box needs cal'd as well!

If you were in a small company though it would make financial sense so 5 or so MFT could be regularly checked against it, and once a year the cal box sent out for a full check.

Interesting to see, a lot cheaper than the usual cal systems (they are £5k-15k I believe) but not quite enough for a single MFT, given the cal box needs cal'd as well!

If you were in a small company though it would make financial sense so 5 or so MFT could be regularly checked against it, and once a year the cal box sent out for a full check.

Exactly my thoughts. If it was under £200 I'd say everybody should have one.

For general info, it is Automated Calibration Services who do the CEF cal day work:
The certificates I received says they use this bit of test kit (at least for MFT/PAT use I think):
I don't see a UK price but a USA site is saying "Starting at $13,800.00" so around £11.3k
Others I see mentioned are more affordable (for a given definition of "affordable") such as this one:
Is it currently on sale at £4,209+VAT from here:
It looks less flash, so maybe less automation so not as good for quick turn-around use.

Another one I see mentioned around is this, though it is not claiming to be MFT style calibration:
Again, only a USA site coming up with a price on a quick search and they are saying it is usually sold at $22,822 so around £18.6k

I use a CalCard, keeping a record of last and current readings gives me what I need to know.
Didn't mention that I test RCD/RCBO's in my own home on the same socket each time, and take a note of times etc and check against last readings, but then I am retried, and only do very small works for family and friends, in fact none this year yet.

For general info, it is Automated Calibration Services who do the CEF cal day work:
The certificates I received says they use this bit of test kit (at least for MFT/PAT use I think):
I don't see a UK price but a USA site is saying "Starting at $13,800.00" so around £11.3k
Others I see mentioned are more affordable (for a given definition of "affordable") such as this one:
Is it currently on sale at £4,209+VAT from here:
It looks less flash, so maybe less automation so not as good for quick turn-around use.

Another one I see mentioned around is this, though it is not claiming to be MFT style calibration:
Again, only a USA site coming up with a price on a quick search and they are saying it is usually sold at $22,822 so around £18.6k
Someone mentioned "Time" offer ex demo /used once/ maybe the packaging is bashed offers to boost sales .... :)

What is the expected time for a MFT calibration ? is it 10 mins? 20 mins etc ????
I have no idea.

Based on my new certificate, it has 24 measurements so at 30s per test that is 12 minutes. Which is realistic but assumes the operator is familiar with that type of MFT, etc.

But I don't know if MFT have a secret test connector that would allow an automated stepping throgugh the tests and recording of results. That might take it below 5 min per instrument.

These calibration days I would guess as long as it takes to print off the Certificate and put some tamper stickers on it.

Reply to A Calibrated Question (Multi Meters) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net