Discuss A little late to the game, but I'm here now in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

sk1pr@

-
Reaction score
Hi all,
After a stint in the armed forces followed by a much longer stint in the transport industry I'm now verging on 44yrs and am considering making a leap of faith in learning to become an electrician. I have booked a one week course in May to do a workshop in domestic (taster really) before committing to the longer courses. It's not cheap and I currently have a full time job to work round also.
I've registered on here as I know this will all prob become a bit of a whirlwind experience and would like to think I had some sort of base to refer to if that makes sense.
Anyway, hi and thanks for accepting me.
Andy

Welcome to the forum mate.

Welcome Andy...its never too late (I did the same just over 10yrs ago but via the 3yr evening class route).... and still enjoy the challenges and meeting hundreds of customers over the years...I still tell them "so long as Im moving and able, I may retire at 90"
One tip:- When someone you trust says the electrics are off..
ALWAYS, ALWAYS test it yourself.

Now wheres my?................:eek:BANG !!!

Thanks all for the welcome messages. My week 'taster' course starts 21st May. 4141-01 Workshop jobby. It's in Leeds and have been asked to bring a scientific calculator and purchase an 'on site book' which I've done from Amazon. Really looking forward to it and hopefully then book their 18 day course called a Bronze Domestic something or other. If you can think of anything else I will need please let me know even if it gives me a head start i.e. another book for now so I can swat up beforehand.
Thanks again.

G
Welcome Andy...its never too late (I did the same just over 10yrs ago but via the 3yr evening class route).... and still enjoy the challenges and meeting hundreds of customers over the years...I still tell them "so long as Im moving and able, I may retire at 90"
One tip:- When someone you trust says the electrics are off..
ALWAYS, ALWAYS test it yourself.

Now wheres my?................:eek:BANG !!!
Good tip!

Really looking forward to it and hopefully then book their 18 day course called a Bronze Domestic something or other.

I would try and find some work experience local to you Andy. You will also get a real perspective of the trade and what's involved beforehand.

To be honest an 18 day course isn't going to be enough to even scratch the surface. You're looking at years.

Just my advise.

[QUOTE="To be honest an 18 day course isn't going to be enough to even scratch the surface. You're looking at years.

Just my advise.[/QUOTE]
And it's appreciated. Good shout. Their is a local electrician firm in the village I live in. I will call in and see if they can offer me experience for sure.

Start now to watch good videos on YouTube - John Ward (hello I’m JW) is an excellent source for introducing to supply types and components and stuff. Sparkyninja is another good source on you tube. Start to read your books so that you can ask questions when you start (keener!) and read through these threads for any questions you have that come up.
Us wipper snappers coming into the industry now can benefit from so many others knowledge and experience whereas the internet wasn’t even invented when they were apprentices.
(That why they are so bitter!(brackets means that they can’t read it, right?))

Hi all,
After a stint in the armed forces followed by a much longer stint in the transport industry I'm now verging on 44yrs and am considering making a leap of faith in learning to become an electrician. I have booked a one week course in May to do a workshop in domestic (taster really) before committing to the longer courses. It's not cheap and I currently have a full time job to work round also.
I've registered on here as I know this will all prob become a bit of a whirlwind experience and would like to think I had some sort of base to refer to if that makes sense.
Anyway, hi and thanks for accepting me.
Andy
LOL, good luck with that

Reply to A little late to the game, but I'm here now in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net