Discuss Accident at work becarefull out there in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

nickblake

Just what i didnt want , and it happend ,use a working platform they say ,well if i was using steps i wouldnt have ended up in casualty requiring 5 stiches to my abdomen ,what happend i slipped off the steps and caught my abdomen on the hook for the platform which cut a nice 2" gaping wonde in it ,stiched up but hurts like hell , just a warning guys take it easy out there and use common sence it only takes a split second and the rest of the day could end like mine or worse !!!!

H&S Has a field day every day in the UK!!! Your doing something or other wrong as you walk on the site!!!

Hope it's going to be all right for you, no-one likes geting into those situations, and paying the price!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
happy healing, nick. not going to hit the like button though, you might think i was taking the proverbial. easily done mate. just all glad it wasn't worse.

Hope you have a speedy recovery mate.

Yep you gotta be careful but H & S is too over the top, as with most things the authorities have to go too far, building sites are a dangerous place, we all know that, of course we should all look out for our own safety but sometimes things can go wrong.

Speedy healing Nick,

Sorry ta hear that you've injured yourself, we all need to be careful out there and think things through before doing anything. Guilty of this myself in the past and had a few near misses!

You rest up nick and don't watch too much comedy with that wound!

Speedy healing Nick,

Sorry ta hear that you've injured yourself, we all need to be careful out there and think things through before doing anything. Guilty of this myself in the past and had a few near misses!

You rest up nick and don't watch too much comedy with that wound!
that will mean him staying off this forum then.LOL.

Get well soon Nick. Nearly come a cropper myself a few times. Take it easy and soak up as much TLC as possible.

Cheers,
Lofty.

well I got the boot from a company once for not wanting to use a normal ladder, I say normal as in the type that slides inside itself, it was made up of FOUR long ladders hooked over one another on the second last rung of each and held together with tie wraps (cable ties) and was in a large industrial warehouse with two heavy lifting cranes on a beam/roller system that went all the way from one end to the other of the building, it was to get up to a steel beam running the length of the building (80 meters long or thereabouts) and was just under 30 meters up, and still about 8 meters from the lowest part of the roof, the beam was covered in about an inch of cement dust from the workshop below that did stone cutting and metal work, and there were dead pigeons all along it as well, getting onto the beam meant standing at the very top of the ladder, leaning over the power rails for the cranes (inch thick copper bars with a wobbly bit of Aluminium above them, 415V) and doing a pull up to get onto the beam, then crawling the length of the beam with a heavy cable whilst people down below were rolling out the drum, suspended by one of the cranes via a vehicle tow rope (the flat strap kind) hooked over an old scaffold pole...it was very dodgy.....after a tea break, three of the other sparks got phoned off to go to another job 50 odd miles away and said "see ya ff for that phew" and I got left with two idiots, I was about half way up the ladder contraption (15m) and the boy below was supposed to be holding it, he was standing smoking instead, but I doubt if he would have been much use strength wise anyway as the ladders probably totalled 100Kg without me on them as well....ladder went "eeeekkkkkk" along the floor (noise it made) slid backwards and fell forwards, clunk, landed against an H beam that went to the floor from the horizontal beam, theres me holding on to the beam and ladder at the same time and it is still trying to slide more, I was thinking if this goes beyond a certain angle it will go down and hit the floor in 2 seconds flat with me still on it, ladder swaying from side to side, crapping myself, other lad in fits of laughter.....climbed down as fast as I could manage thinking the more I get down the less I have to fall when this thing goes....got to the bottom and refused to go back up, end result was pumped the next morning (Friday) via text from agency....all because the company did not want to use safe climbing equipment...

At least you are still alive to tell the story mate.

I hope your getting paid while you recover, just goes to show you , all these improved safety methods requiring working practices lessen the risk in one respect and increase it another

i bet nick's relaxing in his fav. chair, fav. prog. on the telly, having his beer fetched, loads of TLC and sympathy. makes it worht while in the end. only joking nick. wish you a speedy rcovery. all the best mate.

Reply to Accident at work becarefull out there in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net