Discuss Adding socket on to kitchen ring-no rcd in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Guess we are not as clever as the DNO's.

Some ones gonna say they don't have to blah blah blah ……………...and they have to work blah blah blah..……..:)

Incidentally Spin, I caught your cracking a joke the other night. As a help there's some naughty little similes below. Go on, you know you want to.

You dont class an rcd as switchgear then? I dont agree with that you are complying with current regs in that scenario!
He didn't say it wasn't switchgear. That doesn't mean that it's a similar switchgear assembly to a distribution board though, which is what the Regulation actually states. It doesn't provide overcurrent protection so isn't similar.
In fairness, me and a lot of others were of the same opinion, and the guidance I received went in a similar vein. To some the reg is clear as the days long, but IMO its not, and they have had the opportunity to make it clearer.

Doesn't make sense, that two pieces of similar equipment or enclosures can be installed side by side, one has to be metal the other doesn't.
I absolutely agree that the Regulation is somewhat vague allowing more than one interpretation of it. What I have suggested should merely be construed as my opinion on the matter.

Now does that mean for a TT system can we fit a 100 ma type S RCD in its own insulated enlosure before the consumer unit?

I always find it strange that the DNO is allowed to fit an isolator in a plastic enclosure after the meter.

I absolutely agree that the Regulation is somewhat vague allowing more than one interpretation of it. What I have suggested should merely be construed as my opinion on the matter.

Thats fair play, your giving your opinion.

Thing is, it should given be as opinion based, but some members (present company accepted) think their opinion, should be taken as without doubt or as fact, or challenged.

Talking to 2 Niceic area assessors at a tech talk in December, they also advised that you can use a plastic switch fuse for meter tails over 3 meters as it’s not similar switchgear assemblies to BSEN 61439-3.
That Mr Darren Staniforth also agreed but he’ll never admit to it
So we will inevitably have some guys agreeing with this and some guys disagreeing.
MAKE THE DAM REGULATION CLEAR. o_O
There’s always amendment 1 to look forward to.

I think I may have mentioned once or twice in the past, that switch fuses use a different standard to DB/CUs.
That doesn’t stop manufacturers from producing switch fuse which comply with BS EN 61439-3.

Some manufacturers jumped on the chance to cash in, stating that you must use a non combustible switch fuse ( wylex pushed this notion when the regulation first came out) so installers inevitably believed that it has to be non combustible ( non combustible cabinet ignored for now)

MAKE THE DAM REGULATION CLEAR. o_O
There’s always amendment 1 to look forward to.

When the 18th draft was open for public comment, I made an observation about this particular regulation, highlighting similar comments made here, examples, conflicting guidance etc. I not naïve enough to think the committee would take any notice of me, but there were comments from several others.

Clearly the observations were dismissed. I wonder sometimes, if the committee likes to keep certain things vague, perhaps it would make life too problematic for them.

So if you wanted to fit an rcd before a consumer unit would you take the tails from the cut out into the incoming side of an rcd then take tails from the rcd into the incoming main switch?
NO. you'd fit the RCD after the meter, other wise you'd be stealing leccy.

Interesting information, I've been buying metal "garage units" and binning the mcb thinking I had to do this for compliance. Back to the little plastic 2 module enclosure for me then ! It did seem a bit daft when adding on to a circuit in a plastic Consumer Unit.

Reply to Adding socket on to kitchen ring-no rcd in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net