Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

Discuss Adding socket to radial in the DIY Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Billybellfoot

Billybellfoot EF Member

Hi as above i currently have a Radial from CU in cupboard that powers one socket (powers 13a heater) outside the cupboard can i (DIY) add a new socket inside the cupboard between CU and existing socket? The intention to have a socket in that cupboard to power a chest freezer

Thanks for any support

2. Marvo

Marvo Gender Confused Staff Member

Is the existing radial circuit 20A? Is it RCD protected?

This isn't an airing cupboard with the heater used inside it is it? If so I wouldn't put any kind of refrigeration appliance in a heated cupboard.

3. Billybellfoot

Billybellfoot EF Member

4. Billybellfoot

Billybellfoot EF Member

Hi thanks for swift response. no its just an inside cupboard just inside porch door (maisonette no downstairs except that cupboard and the adjacent heater) ill show a pic for ref

Thanks again

20161206_153539.jpg

20161206_155937.jpg

20161206_153539-1.jpg

20161206_153539-1.jpg

5. Billybellfoot

Billybellfoot EF Member

Hi on the fuse box pic posted the fuse in question is the (lobby heater) proteus b20 i believe is a 20a as for rcd there are 2 rcd switches.

6. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Electrician's Arms

Yes is the answer.

7. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    None
    Up early Westy

8. westward10

Down in Reading, up early to beat traffic gets worse every day. Actually quite late for me some days up at 3.30 what a life:mad:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Billybellfoot

Billybellfoot EF Member

Hi thanks for input westward is that YES it has rcd OR, YES it can be done adding an additional socket to radial between CU and existing socket at end of radial

Thanks

10. westward10

Both, yes it has rcd protection and you can add on either between the socket and CU or after the socket using a suitably sized cable which is probably 2.5.

• Like Like x 1
  11. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    or even take direct off the MCB, making sure you get the N in the correct N bar.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Billybellfoot

Billybellfoot EF Member

would the existing cable given enough slack in it behind the dry wall be fit for the purpose. for the between CU and existing socket method (does this in theory make the existing heater socket a spur from the intended new socket if so does that method remain safe)

Thanks again

13. Pat H

Pat H Don't ask, get an Electrician in.

Business Name:
    Sparks of Intelligence
    If you add direct from the MCB isn't that a new radial circuit and not an addition.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  14. Andy78

Andy78 Trusted Advisor

No

I would advise the OP to get an electrician in to carry out this job as they will be able to test the circuit to verify its safety.

15. Pat H

Pat H Don't ask, get an Electrician in.

Business Name:
    Sparks of Intelligence
    Ah yes thats correct as long as its the same MCB then its not a new circuit its an alteration.
    Its a shame that the addition of a new MCB would be neater and provide circuit seperation but would then be a new circuit.
    And yes of course the work would need the correct tests done to ensure safety so should be carried out by an electrician.