Discuss Advice needed .mature newbie has interview with local council as spark apprentice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

72-van

-
Trainee
Reaction score
Hi Guys
I apologise in advance this might be the wrong forum section to post this in .

Ok here goes

I have been fortunate to get an interview with my local council who are taking on some spark apprentices ,
do bear in mind that i am in my early forties.I realise this is a massive longshot that i get a place and in truth i am pleased as punch even to get an interview.

i have been told to attend wearing ppe . (splashed out on some new dickies)

that i will have a questionaire and some practical to complete.

can any one tell me what to expect and give me some pointers .

some good questions to ask which portray me in a employable light would be fantastic as well .

In fact any constructive pointers would be highly appreciated.

thx guys

72-van
fife

Firstly, good luck with the interview.

PPE isn't a pair of trousers, it will be hard hat, safety goggles, gloves, ear defenders, maybe a face mask, and steel toe cap boots, and adequate clothing, although I am sure they will tell you exactly what if you were to enquire exactly what you need to wear, like wise for the practical and questionnaire.

I had intended to wear dickie trews & polo tshirt & jacket with a reflective vest over and some steel toe cap doc martin shoes .I have a hard hat and have reading glasses.Thats all i generally need when i have done pat testing on sites and the like.
Should i really go buy gloves and a face mask for an interview ? I do have ear defenders somewhere will look them out .
interview is on monday so to late to ask what exactly they want.I suspect very few of the kids will have a full set of ppe.

thx again

72-van

i would say workwear steel toe high vis and helmet only, wouldnt of thought anything too technical will be asked and im assuming you have some basic knowledge, prob more along lines of working in peoples houses equaility and diversity etc.. best of luck sounds like you deserve the opportunity.

I have a lot of experience at pat .
I aint no ticket slapper and it annoys me when i hear about 200+ items a day coz i know its impossible.
i have 2382 ,2377 and he admits blushing profusely to failing the 2391 ...really must resit that before its done away with altogether.

What practical can i really expect ?

72-van

I would think they will want to know that you are going to be good with the elderly and can work in people's homes without upsetting them etc etc your age will probably work in your favor as life experience counts for a lot when dealing with the public.
Best of luck with your interview
cheers Chris.

I had enhanced disclosure done a year or two back or a series of jobs involving working in school classrooms when the pupils wear in the class.I suppose i could mention that as it might be a plus point in my favour .
Another plus point might be i understand the concept of tidying up after myself and others in order to maintain a safe workplace .I have worked with many over the years who thought it beneath them to tidy up .
thx 72-van

I suspect very few of the kids will have a full set of ppe.
How can you be certain that the other candidates will all be "kids" and you will be the only guy in his 40s? It may be best not to sell yourself on the amount of 'life experience' you have just in case you're out-trumped.
Probably best to try not to come across as a know-it-all as well - if the job is for an apprentice position you will essentially be there to learn stuff.

Apart from that, hi-vis, steel toecaps and hard hat are all that is usually required.
Brand names are irrelevant.
Most companies will provide things like safety specs, ear plugs and sometimes gloves.
Personally I would take gloves just in case, and wear them if working with knives etc to avoid the possible embarrassment of having to ask for a plaster, or bleeding all over the place.

As with any interview find out as much as you can about the company, and take loads of questions to ask. Even if the questions are answered for you, check them off when they ask you if you have any questions about them.

Good luck!

i got an apprenticeship when i was in my thirties. The only sticking point will be whether youll be able to live on an apprenticeship wage. If youve got a mortgage and kids etc then itll be tough.

As for the PPE, i would ring them up and ask. People applying to be an apprentice electrician arent really going to have hard hats, hi vis and ear defenders etc. I would expect they mean durable trousers, steel toe capped boots and a polo shirt/jumper. But best ring them and double check as to what they mean

ive done three practical assessments for a job interview.

The first was for a mechanical apprenticeship and they got us in a team to build a construction out of tubes.

The second was for eon. Individual task, they got us to wire up two 0.75mm cables, ferrel them and connect them as shown in the example. They also had us cut some big aluminium cable to a specific lengths and connect them together to a specific length.

The third was in a team, and we had to construct a tower out of spaghetti that had to hold the weight of a marshmellow.

I am fortunate to have an almost full set of ppe (no gloves ,goggles or mask ) .the low wages well i have no big outlays other than my morgage .my home is up for sale .So when its sold i wont even have that to worry about .

thanks for the heads up re cable lengths etc .

i will endeavour to get a set of work gloves tommorow .i might try and get a set of ear plugs and pop them in my pocket .Not sure taking a large set of ear defenders might look a bit odd.

72- van

Reply to Advice needed .mature newbie has interview with local council as spark apprentice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net