Discuss council advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

jon small

-
Mentor
DIY
Reaction score
just been to help my neighbour and thought I'd share with the forum, she's painting walls outside of her wet room / bathroom and got a belt off the paint brush, puts brush down and without thinking touches wall - another zap! so she phones the council helpline explains situation to call centre monkey - gets passed to duty head of maintenance explains again and is advised " get someone else to touch wall in case your imagining it or stick a piece of gaffer tape ( wet painted wall ffs ) if your worried, will try to get someone out next week sometime as a 50 mile round trip and not really a priority"

bear in mind single mother 4 young kids just out of abusive relationship and wall by wet room, kitchen and only entrance / exit to property.

went round to look and found a nail through unearthed metal conduit containing switch line drop that had several layers of paint over protecting it till she sanded the wall and applied paint.

I spoke to council to explain situation and was told they might get a spark out tonight or might wait for a job order next week, 10 mins later they phone me back to ask if I thought she'd put the nail in to hang a picture ( between 2 architraves 3.5 inches apart so would be very small picture ) obviously hoping to offload blame and make it chargeable, I said definitely an old nail and explained that I considered the advice given earlier to be very ill thought out and potentially lethal guys attitude seemed to be - oh well it's only a council tenant / single mother ( lowlife scum ) when I asked if they'd authorise me to repair as I'm a fully qualified spark answer was no but suddenly he decided he could get a spark out immediately so will see what happens - makes me so angry some salaried bell end can be so cavalier with other peoples lives b@574*%5

You should go and sit in the living room Jon and pretend you are not a spark and see what he says about it when he turns up, he may try to gazzump you with bull and you can then make him look a prat if he does by exposing the fact you are a sparky lol, I would love to be a fly on the wall when that happened.

Welcome to the public sector, they don't work like most normal businesses do. Far too many hoops and such like to jump through to get even the smallest job done. Spent several years working in it and could never get my head around it.

You should go and sit in the living room Jon and pretend you are not a spark and see what he says about it when he turns up, he may try to gazzump you with bull and you can then make him look a prat if he does by exposing the fact you are a sparky lol, I would love to be a fly on the wall when that happened.

This... Definitely do this. Maybe hook up a live webcam so we can observe.

Disclaimer- not in a weird way

council spark should be turning up at 9pm will be there just for fun to see what happens
Can't wait, make sure you let us know what happened, I wonder if he even bothers to get a tester out of the van? and even worse will he just create a joint and shove it in the wall lol

Can't wait, make sure you let us know what happened, I wonder if he even bothers to get a tester out of the van? and even worse will he just create a joint and shove it in the wall lol

You will probably find this will be a contractor with a call out contract and not one of the council monkeys who would do just that. So more than likely they will just isolate the fault and return on Monday during office hours.

well he finally turned up 3/4 hour late, had a look and said "there's a nail through the wire" then got out hammer and bolster to chop out conduit (flimsy oval not real conduit) to "repair" wire, I pointed out (1) my young daughter was asleep 10 feet away (2) easy job to pull the nail out,pull in new switch line as only 1 board to lift, no carpet to worry about, trap already cut and screwed - can't do that without job order ffs! quicker and easier than chopping out and "repairing" existing so I suggested pulling sw line from rose so other lights could go back on and come back another day to complete - hallelujah we have a winner so at least it's safe now and most lights working but has taken from about 4.30 till now to get it sorted bang out of order really wonder how long til they come back and sort it - wish I'd just done the job as a favour but on crutches at the mo so can't reach lights grr but at least get plenty of quality drugs for free!!

Welcome to the public sector, they don't work like most normal businesses do. Far too many hoops and such like to jump through to get even the smallest job done. Spent several years working in it and could never get my head around it.

Worked in the public sector for 16 months and know exactly what you're talking about! lol

well he finally turned up 3/4 hour late, had a look and said "there's a nail through the wire" then got out hammer and bolster to chop out conduit (flimsy oval not real conduit) to "repair" wire, I pointed out (1) my young daughter was asleep 10 feet away (2) easy job to pull the nail out,pull in new switch line as only 1 board to lift, no carpet to worry about, trap already cut and screwed - can't do that without job order ffs! quicker and easier than chopping out and "repairing" existing so I suggested pulling sw line from rose so other lights could go back on and come back another day to complete - hallelujah we have a winner so at least it's safe now and most lights working but has taken from about 4.30 till now to get it sorted bang out of order really wonder how long til they come back and sort it - wish I'd just done the job as a favour but on crutches at the mo so can't reach lights grr but at least get plenty of quality drugs for free!!
Honestly, if I was the council appointed spark, you would irritate the **** out of me suggesting what I should do. Id be thinking************

Last edited by a moderator:
apologies in advance to mods if this is out of order

meggerman - who the ************do you think you are calling me a ************ on crutches wannabe spark but cant". you don't know me or my situation, (1) I'm not a sponger I still work for a living even on crutches , (2) been a fully qualified apprentice trained spark for over 25 years not a Electrical Trainee , (3) the guy was a bit out of his depth and going to chop out wall, cut away conduit and tape up the cable - do you consider that acceptable ? and he asked for advice from me which I was happy to give in a non condescending way - it's called professional courtesy, google it if you don't understand and (4) if you said that to my face even on crutches ************

Last edited by a moderator:
no just defending myself from a lazy half assed judgement from someone who doesn't know me or my situation and wasn't there , I'm a pacifist really right up to the point I have the red mist blackout

Reply to council advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net