Discuss Advice needed on unconnected earth wire. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

If you don't know any sparky friends or family then you must bite the bullet and get a sparky out. Wouldn't be a lengthy job and you'll know you'll have a safe install once he susses what's what. As previously mentioned it looks like main earthing conductor protecting your property not connected.
You say you had new CU in 2016? If it is main earth and not a supplementary......go put the lotto on.
Please keep us updated.....
PS could you take wider screenshot photos as it might make more sense from a distance. It looks like your water is bonded but not your gas?

Wow, someones made a boo boo there
There are a ton of these around and for a long time as well - last one I did it wasn’t connected for 20 odd years and the earthing was via pipework bonding. Zs of 2.70 ohms with bonding going down to 0.24 or so when simply connected!
Agree though that you do need to call the same spark if possible and see the shade of red on their face.
As Pete picked up though, that earth braid looks sparkling new so maybe some DNO work but as Littlespark came back - that earth conductor end has never been squeezed!
As Toyah once sang “it’stha mysthery oh it’stha mysthery”!
Looks as though that braid goes to that Henley block which it makes even easier for a connection and test.

20190425_140142.jpg

seems this is common. I got called out last week and asked if this was normal by a couple who selling a relatives house. the new meter was put in a few years ago. must be a new type of wireless earth connection as well

earthing systems are complex with many variables involved,
not to mention lots of rules and regulations,
don't guess or take anything for granted,
get a proper electrician in to check everything
in relation to your earthing,
that way you can be ensured it is safe and code worthy.

Reply to Advice needed on unconnected earth wire. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net