Discuss Advice on old style junction box for cooker - need to replace cooker, told box illegal? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Those joints had to be: soldered, brazed, welded, mechanical clamps, or of the compression type.
Mechanical clamps could not be used within the fabric of the building.
Further mechanical clamps and compression-type sockets shall securely retain all the wires of the conductors.

Those joints had to be: soldered, brazed, welded, mechanical clamps, or of the compression type.
Mechanical clamps could not be used within the fabric of the building.
Further mechanical clamps and compression-type sockets shall securely retain all the wires of the conductors.
.....as per reg....fair enough. :cool:
Like I said earlier on, though...25 years back, I'd have crimped them.

Not 100% sure what a mechanical clamp is?
Initial thoughts were a crimp, but wouldn’t that be a compression type?
Also wondering why all conductors have to be clamped or compressed?
Seems to rule out repairing or extending just one conductor.

Like I said earlier on, though...25 years back, I'd have crimped them.
Yes, you would have done. But many of those dreadful hidden junctions were done by kitchen fitters who had no knowledge of any wiring regulations. It really is a pity that electrics in kitchens has been removed from the special location list. As it was a kitchen electrics tragedy that was one of the drivers behind the emergence of Part P.
MP's daughter electrocuted - https://www.standard.co.uk/news/mps-daughter-electrocuted-6939286.html

Not 100% sure what a mechanical clamp is?
Initial thoughts were a crimp, but wouldn’t that be a compression type?
Also wondering why all conductors have to be clamped or compressed?
Seems to rule out repairing or extending just one conductor.
Yes. Nothing comes to mind regarding mechanical...unless it's a screwed connector block.......God forbid!!!
I think when they say all, they mean all affected, such as a damaged core or a required joint.

Yes, you would have done. But many of those dreadful hidden junctions were done by kitchen fitters who had no knowledge of any wiring regulations. It really is a pity that electrics in kitchens has been removed from the special location list. As it was a kitchen electrics tragedy that was one of the drivers behind the emergence of Part P.
MP's daughter electrocuted - https://www.standard.co.uk/news/mps-daughter-electrocuted-6939286.html

Bizarrely this popped up in another thread, but I think its just one of those urban myths;
Was Part P introduced following the death of MP’s Daughter? - https://www.tradeskills4u.co.uk/posts/part-p-mp-daughter

It had already gone to its first stage, before her unfortunate & tragic death. It may well have highlighted the issue, but wasn't the driving force.

Agree with you about the removal of kitchens as a special location under Part P (England) though.

Reply to Advice on old style junction box for cooker - need to replace cooker, told box illegal? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net