Discuss Advice on safety of new Consumer Unit Install in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

To be honest I couldn’t wait any longer myself so I’ve just nipped round to the house and pulled the floorboards (by hand) as he didn’t re fit them properly and to be honest I didn’t think it could get any worse

He had to extend the cables as they would not reach so everything your about to see is what he has done. They may be the original JBs but he has re used them and, Well. Here you go. Have a look

One of the JBs I couldn’t open because it’s so tort to the ceiling/floor plasterboard that there is no play to twist it enough to open the screw let alone move it. And this is how I found it so nothing secured all floating with bare circuits (al be it a dead old shower 6mm (doesn't look like 10mm, maybe 6mm so probably better i didnt have him re-connect it as it was running an 8.5kw shower). I asked him not to reconnect as we’re removing it for mixer shower off boiler)

I’m pretty upset to be honest. I know it was only £250 but I thought it would be done to at least a basic standard. I could have done that better if I was allowed, I’m not and he is and he has certificates telling people he is allowed to install that and why oh why oh why. Any way. Any Thoughts on the JBs?? (I say sarcastically), He couldn't even put any sleeving on the bare cpc's.

I did safely isolate before opening the JBs

View attachment 98981View attachment 98982View attachment 98983View attachment 98984View attachment 98985View attachment 98986View attachment 98987View attachment 98988View attachment 98989View attachment 98990View attachment 98991View attachment 98992View attachment 98993View attachment 98994View attachment 98995
Shocking work. Just an FYI, 6mm is fine for an 8.5kw shower as long as the run isn't massive.

I’m not condoning anything this charlatan has done, but a handwritten test certificate is just as acceptable as a computer generated one… it was the way things were always done not that long ago…. And it looks like he’s attempted to fill things in… some cowboys don’t even bother.

EIC versus EICR… yeh ok… a consumer unit change should be an EIC, but an EICR shows all the same information and is (wrongfully) demanded by letting agents rather than an EIC.

To think the guy never even had a bit of green/yellow sleeving in the van….

Repeating what others have said… being listed on check a trade, my builder, even the NAPIT or NICEIC websites does not guarantee competence… however these companies may claim.

The best place to find a reliable tradesman is, as it’s always been, word of mouth.
Even the ones on here, I can’t trust them as far as I can throw ‘em…. 🤣

wow, this is shocking. It might be worth noting that the board is in the same configuration as is sold on Screwfix. If you have any photos of the original boards it might be useful to check if the circuits are on the correct size devices. Odd that they used a tails gland

wow, this is shocking. It might be worth noting that the board is in the same configuration as is sold on Screwfix. If you have any photos of the original boards it might be useful to check if the circuits are on the correct size devices. Odd that they used a tails gland

Given that cables were extended, the board could be dressed in any configuration.

Why would you consider it odd that they brought the tails in through a gland?

He most definitely should not have taken it, it belonged to EON. Were the off peak circuits no longer required.

He most definitely should not have taken it, it belonged to EON. Were the off peak circuits no longer required.

No longer required, my grandmother had old storage heaters which I had removed and a full ch system installed so no further use of economy 7 or what ever they call it now, So I should ask him for it back in case EON 'come a calling'?

Is replacing that broken JB under the bedroom floor for say a new wiska box and wago connectors notifiable? Am I allowed to do it?

I've been around the building industry all my working life until disability laid me up, I am competent in doing it as long as its non notifiable. As said before, I am more competent than his attempt and if it was allowed I would have done a much better job than he did.

I won't touch it if its notifiable, just checking

Is replacing that broken JB under the bedroom floor for say a new wiska box and wago connectors notifiable? Am I allowed to do it?
That work isn't notifiable no. Is that the circuit that is no longer needed, or is it planned to be reused for something in the future?

If it's 6mm, then Wago do 6mm lever connectors, but they are not suitable for use in their Wago boxes as a designated Maintenance Free box (for whatever reason) - Only the push fit Wago ones (773-173) are.

Te
That work isn't notifiable no. Is that the circuit that is no longer needed, or is it planned to be reused for something in the future?

If it's 6mm, then Wago do 6mm lever connectors, but they are not suitable for use in their Wago boxes as a designated Maintenance Free box (for whatever reason) - Only the push fit Wago ones (773-173) are.

There are 2 x 6mm circuits. one is bare and not terminated under the floorboards which was the old shower which I told him to leave out. I wont be re-suing it and will be ripping it out from the bathroom eventually. ( un-terminated 6mm shown in one of the images)

The other 6mm is the cooker circuit. Its roughly a 6 meter run from dp cooker switch up the wall to under landing floorboards through bedroom and down to that junction box just over the ceiling above the cu.

I thought 10mm was better for cooker? Now I know its 6mm I take it I should stay away from installing an induction hob when fitting the kitchen!

Te

There are 2 x 6mm circuits. one is bare and not terminated under the floorboards which was the old shower which I told him to leave out. I wont be re-suing it and will be ripping it out from the bathroom eventually. ( un-terminated 6mm shown in one of the images)

The other 6mm is the cooker circuit. Its roughly a 6 meter run from dp cooker switch up the wall to under landing floorboards through bedroom and down to that junction box just over the ceiling above the cu.

I thought 10mm was better for cooker? Now I know its 6mm I take it I should stay away from installing an induction hob when fitting the kitchen!
Unless the appliance is pulling over 47a, 6mm is fine.

Most induction hobs will be absolutely fine on 6mm. Some pull as little as 2kw.

Te

The load a cable will safely take is dependent on the length, whether it goes through insulation, etc - but in this case the limiting factor is likely the 32A MCB that protects the circuit, which in theory gives you 7.36kW in total load.

However, some allowance is allowed for the actual demand, because every ring on the hob is unlikely to be on at full power, particularly at the same time as connected oven etc.

You may need to seek advice with specifics when the kitchen is done, but I doubt there would be much problem with fitting an induction hob, as long as it was not the 5 or 6 ring type!

Edit: swaRR got there first!

I’m not condoning anything this charlatan has done, but a handwritten test certificate is just as acceptable as a computer generated one… it was the way things were always done not that long ago…. And it looks like he’s attempted to fill things in… some cowboys don’t even bother.

EIC versus EICR… yeh ok… a consumer unit change should be an EIC, but an EICR shows all the same information and is (wrongfully) demanded by letting agents rather than an EIC.

To think the guy never even had a bit of green/yellow sleeving in the van….
🤣
I wonder what sort of van he had..........was there a horse pulling it?

It's actually a £70 board, with Type A RCDs - he really went the extra mile 😉

The gland confused me too - shows that some competence went into it, which makes the rest all the more baffling.
Probably nicked from work. I wonder if he's not qualified...just labouring with the day job. No way the to$$er's registered.

Reply to Advice on safety of new Consumer Unit Install in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net