Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss Advice wanted - unhappy with rewire in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Sarah123

Sarah123 EF Member

Hi all

Hoping I could get some independent advice on here. We've just bought our first property and had to get a full house rewire on the property (3 bed semi). Our electricians had finished the work within 2 days (2 electricians working on it). When asked when they were coming back, they said they didn't need to come back for a second fix as they'd finished it all. As we didn't know any better, we assumed all was fine and paid up because that said they wouldn't give paperwork till payment was made.

Since then, we have had a few issues. Our plasterer has been really surprised at the poor standard of work - they have had to plaster around all sockets and spotlights in kitchen.

1. The holes made to put in the sockets are generally quite a bit larger than the face of the external socket casing.
    2. One of the sockets had a loose wire that was not connected when the plasterer was plastering around.
    3. Another socket melted the builder's plug (smoke coming out as well), but didn't activate the trip switch.
    4. An armoured cable they put in to light the garage is coming out of the consumer unit and through the floorboards in the bedroom in front of (rather than behind) the skirting board.
    5. No paperwork 3 weeks after despite chasing him for this before everything else happened.

Would really appreciate any feedback as not sure if these are common or we really are within our rights to be taking this further? We tried contacting the electrician a couple of days ago, but he's not able to come till Monday evening, but his general response is telling me that he's blaming the plasterer's work.

Thanks!

2. Baddegg

Baddegg Still simmering Ken, not boiled yet buddy x Electrician's Arms

Got any pics Sarah?

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

As in all these things, you have to allow the tradesperson to finish their work.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Respected Member

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    i have a mate in Leeds. NICEIC approved contractor, who hates seeing. shoddy work by cowboys. if you want, I can ask him to call and give you an unbiassed opinion.

• Like Like x 7
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Sarah123

Sarah123 EF Member

Hi baddegg - good idea!

20190223_094844.jpg
    armoured cable in front of skirting board

20190223_114949.jpg
    wire disconnected

20190223_112101.jpg
    A couple of examples of cutting around sockets.
    20190223_111938.jpg

20190223_094717.jpg
    Melted plug socket

Thanks in advance for any advice!

6. Sarah123

Sarah123 EF Member

Thanks midwest- they've finished and it's been paid for. It doesn't sound like they want to do much else from the response we've had so far.

7. Midwest

Somewhat jumping the gun, are we not?

8. Sarah123

Sarah123 EF Member

Thanks Telectrix - will see what happens and if we need to take it further, will message.

9. Midwest

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. telectrix

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    not after seeing those pics. SWA in front of skirting board, ans did they use a JCB to cut out the sockets?

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Midwest

You said 'We tried contacting the electrician a couple of days ago, but he's not able to come till Monday evening'.

12. telectrix

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    it all looks arse about face to me. why have they fitted sockets before filling and plastering has been done?

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. Midwest

Not being funny, but the rest of the refurbishment looks shite as well, including the plasterer who seems to be slagging off to the client about the electrics.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Baddegg

Baddegg Still simmering Ken, not boiled yet buddy x Electrician's Arms

As others have said not tidy but not as bad as it could be and in the sparks defence the loose wire could’ve been caused by anyone moving that socket front.....did you agree to him second fixing before the spreads had been in?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Sarah123

Sarah123 EF Member

Yes I sent a detailed message with all the concerns and a couple others. He said the plasterer probably pulled out the wire while plastering and it's necessary to remove that much wall to get to sockets. He didn't respond to the other points, but like I said he's coming over Monday. I just want to know whether we should be arguing this on Monday or we're just clueless first time homebuyers! Is it normal to not do a second fix?