Discuss AGA commissioning an induction cooker, are they likely to insist on a 45A supply? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Rockingit

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Have a customer made an enquiry about needing a 45A supply for a new AGA induction oven, as that is what is spec'd by the manufacturer. Explained diversity etc and said the existing 6mm supply will be sufficient, which he understands, but he is concerned that when the AGA installers turn up that they might not connect it unless it's the 45A they spec - and we all know how educated installation 'engineers' can be!

Anyone come across this scenario? Tempted to call AGA tech on Monday and ask what their policy is.

I had a customer with an existing 10mm / 50A oven supply, and when the installers arrived, they refused to install it because they were told the supply had to be maximum 45A, and 50A was too large. I changed the MCB for him.

Have a customer made an enquiry about needing a 45A supply for a new AGA induction oven, as that is what is spec'd by the manufacturer. Explained diversity etc and said the existing 6mm supply will be sufficient, which he understands, but he is concerned that when the AGA installers turn up that they might not connect it unless it's the 45A they spec - and we all know how educated installation 'engineers' can be!

Anyone come across this scenario? Tempted to call AGA tech on Monday and ask what their policy is.
get the model no.

do some calcs...and armed with these you can then go to AGA (who may attempt to dump the issue at the installers feet)....

once you have some figures (including any diversity)....then you go to AGA....

1) they cant fob you off with any technical jargon (a favoutite)

2) they instantly become aware they are dealing with an electrician...not a jobey..

here is the numbers for AGA:

AGA Head Office:

AGA,
Station Rd,
Ketley,
Telford,
Shropshire,
TF1 5AQ
Tel: 0845 815 2020

More information:

For more information about AGA products please speak to your local AGA shop:
Tel: 0845 712 5207

Brochure request:

To request an AGA brochure please call your local AGA shop:
Tel: 0845 712 5207

Customer Services Centre:

Existing AGA owners can speak to one of our
experienced service professionals, please call:
Tel: 0845 602 3015

AGA Technical helpline:

For all technical/servicing queries about
your AGA please call:
Tel: 0845 602 3015

AGA Spares:

For all your AGA spares please email [email protected] or call:
Tel: 0845 217 1201

AGA Cookshop:

To request a brochure or for any general enquiries relating to AGA Cookshop, please see the details below;
Email: [email protected]
Tel: 0845 345 2823

I don't know if it is still the case , and the AGA engineer will probably commission it anyway ! But if not tell your customer that when it is first used it will apparently sweat and if it is not wiped clean as it happens , it is acidic and will damage the exterior enamel coating which will not be claimable under warranty .
Like I say , it may not be the case now days as it was around seven years ago when I was told this . But worth a thought , and some possible brownie points with your customer !?

what you have to remember with AGAs..

is it isn`t like a rayburn...which just comes as any normal cooker....that is to say as one unit/module that you just plonk down on any level surface...then pipe it up etc..

an aga has to be actually `built up` on site from various pre assembled components...

they come out with levels and special tools...and actually `construct` the thing out on site..

hence the need for an AGA approved trained fitter/installer/engineer to actually install & commission..

but the first port of call to get verification on the supply requirements would be to ring AGA technical...as listed at #3

at least then if theres any nonsense from `Mr installer`....you have armed yourself with horses mouth info...

well if they do insist on a 45a mcb your in trouble cos only a couple of manufacterers make them and i sure as hell wouldnt change a CU just to suit their rigid / ill informed requirements.

whats the max load in kW for this appliance anyway ?

well if they do insist on a 45a mcb your in trouble cos only a couple of manufacterers make them and i sure as hell wouldnt change a CU just to suit their rigid / ill informed requirements.

whats the max load in kW for this appliance anyway ?

Well, this is another thing that's puzzling me - I'm going to see the client on Monday morning to try and make sense of exactly what may need to happen (and size up what would be involved if a new circuit is needed), but client quoted 7.2kW to me over the phone....and that aint 45A!! Well, not at 230v it's not, anyway.

This is where “follow the manufacturers instructions” falls in to disrepute. The manufacturers are constantly covering their own arse. Even with no diversity 32A is up to the job.

As Glenn said, give them a ring. Clear things up before you do anything.

Well, this is another thing that's puzzling me - I'm going to see the client on Monday morning to try and make sense of exactly what may need to happen (and size up what would be involved if a new circuit is needed), but client quoted 7.2kW to me over the phone....and that aint 45A!! Well, not at 230v it's not, anyway.
and in this case you would be going with nominals.....as its design work....

Well.....that was fun.

Long story short; it's not made by Aga it's made by Rangemaster (no surprise there, then) and the online tech spec was as clear as mud and contradicted itself many times over. Spoke to RM tech dept who started off just simply saying "if the installer [3rd party] is specifying 45A then it has to be 45A". I then asked why, and they couldn't tell me. So I pressed, and was probably quite abrupt, and eventually the guy admitted that it's just them covering their own arses against the theoretical risk of nuisance tripping, and that they do on occasions have to tell customers about how to operate the equipment when they only have smaller supplies available.

So, I've told the customer that we'll just swap the B32 for a B40 as a compromise and to keep the installers as sweet as possible.

Reply to AGA commissioning an induction cooker, are they likely to insist on a 45A supply? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net