Discuss Air Circuit breakers in the Electrical Forum Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

hadleigh sparks

Hi Everyone , i havnt fitted one of these before and i need to do so as a retrofit into and existing panel board. the reson for this is a down grade in their load and therefore i wish to fit a protective device to protect the current wiring against the new lower load. I also intend to fit a Voltage optimisation unit in line and by lowering their main protective device i can fit the correct size unit for their load.
1 can i simply cut a hole in a spare panel install and fix the breaker and then cut and divert the busbars via Flexis through the breaker and the unit then of to their load ?
2 is their a good place to go and get some training ( is it needed or as they as simple as they look )

Thanks for taking the time to answer
kev

Why are you installing an Air Ciruit Breaker?
Why not use an MCB?
If you do install it, just use an enclosure to house the ACB, break into the tails between the meter and the CU, connect the ACB, then from the ACB to the optimisation unit, then to the CU.
To be honest, it would probably be simpler to det the DNO in to down rate their fuse.

Hi Spin , like the bike !
They are currently pulling 625 amps peak per phase , i wasn't aware they made MCB's that large. I have contacted the DNO however their is no fuse between the sub and the incoming supply , they are an integral part of a loop main ( i think ) their is 8 large tails feeding into the bottom of their switch gear going directly to the customers main switch and then Bars. So thought the best way would be to install an ACB.
However im open to suggestions
thanks again

What current are we looking at? I don’t like the idea of flexibles in switchgear due to very high possible fault currents. I’ve seen bus bars bent due to fault currents, flexibles will jump about like zebedee.
Some ACB’s can be down rated without the need to change the unit.
Can you give more details?
Make, model, current, etc.

Hi Spin , like the bike !
They are currently pulling 625 amps peak per phase , i wasn't aware they made MCB's that large. I have contacted the DNO however their is no fuse between the sub and the incoming supply , they are an integral part of a loop main ( i think ) their is 8 large tails feeding into the bottom of their switch gear going directly to the customers main switch and then Bars. So thought the best way would be to install an ACB.
However im open to suggestions
thanks again
Sorry, thought you were doing domestic and instaling one of those Vphase optimisation units.
No ACBs are more appropriate.
As Tony says, we would need a lot more information, probablly some photos of the existing switch gear and panels.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi We are looking at a maximum current drawn of 625 amps per phase , so I need to allow for approximately 750 amps per phase. I would be retrofitting the ACB into the existing panel board. At the moment all they have is a main switch which is rated at 1200 amps fed direct from the sub station next door this goes direct on the bus bars and these feed directly of to switch fuses and then on to sub mains to different parts of the factory.
The existing panel board is approximately 20 - 30 years old
thanks

thanks very much , however the existing gear is simply a large main switch with vertical bus bars at the rear of the chamber . above the main switch their is a spare panel with a spare void behind where i could mount an ACB within ( there is loads of room). behind this is the bus bars ( their must be at least 3 feet behind the cover plate to the bus bars ).
I dont have any photos unfortunately.
May i ask are you suggesting using copper bar to bolt on to rear of the ACB from the existing bars and then diverting back to the bars in bar again? Or do you have a better suggestion of cable to use ? or even indeed a recomended manufacterer i could contact for help on this point
thanks again for your help

Most ACB’s will be adjustable down to 75% FLC (some even lower) which would give 900A
I really can’t understand the need to down rate the protection to the board. It won’t affect the loading on it so billing won’t be affected. The ACB is there just to protect the boards bus bars.

hi guys
At the moment their is no overcurrent protection between the bus bars and the sub station.
I am looking to fit a voltage optimisation unit in between the sub station ( via the main switch) and the bus bars . therefore in order to protect this unit and the wiring to and from it i will need to install some sort of overcurrent protection device. This is why i was thinking of retrofitting and ACB into the existing panel board system. Obviously i dont want to fit a unit that is to large as they are very costly so if i can down grade the wiring with an ACB to suit their current load plus 20% for expansion the whole thing works.
hope fully this explains it a little clearer
thanks again

Reply to Air Circuit breakers in the Electrical Forum Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net