Discuss Am I being taken for a ride? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

do you have your own meter? if it's a supplier's meter, then anything before that is their responsibility.

if it's a landlord's meter, anything before that is up to him.

having said that, it's the responsibility of the electrician to ckeck the incoming supply and report on it's condition. remedial work would be at the cost tothe supplier or landlord as the case may be.

OK that is good to know thank you

do you have your own meter? if it's a supplier's meter, then anything before that is their responsibility.

if it's a landlord's meter, anything before that is up to him.

having said that, it's the responsibility of the electrician to ckeck the incoming supply and report on it's condition. remedial work would be at the cost tothe supplier or landlord as the case may be.

OK I take that on board

As @westward10 has suggested, Mr. "Electrician" needs to bring along his copy of the regulations. This should take the form of a big yellow book (roughly A4 in size), and it is titled "British Standard. Requirements for Electrical Installations. IET Wiring Regulations 17th Edition." The standard to which it relates is BS 7671:2008 and it incorporates 4 change sets... Ammendment 1:2011, Corrigendum 2013, Ammendment 2:2013 and Ammendment 3:2015. And for each and every C1, C2 and C3 on the 'report' he should be able to point you to a regulation that is contravened and explain it to you in terms you will understand. If he can't point you to a regulation that is relevant, then as far as I'm aware it should not be listed as a C1, C2 or C3 item. It could be listed on a continuation page, but only items that can be listed as observations with the code C1, C2 or FI can result in an unsatisfactory report. It's also worth noting that an EICR should not concern itself with the building regulations compliance... for example, if at some point in the past someone has notched a joist in the wrong way, this is irrelevant.

I think the best way forward for you is to engage the services of another electrician for this meeting... someone who can quiz the guy, explain things to you if the report writer can't and who can spot if he is just full of BS.

To give better advice than has already been given without knowledge of the installation, a copy of the report and at the very least, pictures of the items to which these things relate is dam near impossible, sorry.

When I get home I can do that and I will upload everything and also take photographs and upload them. I do not have the facilities here

By chance is he running an earth in from the E7 Board to the MET?

Tired after long day, so only briefly speed read the last 4 pages, but that's what I'm thinking is happening if I was to hazard a guess lol

just a bit windy. enough to make me wind the garden parasols down.
I first read this "wind the garden parasols down" as in "wind" - weather, breeze... because of the context of the subject "windy". :oops: :D
oh... the oddities of the English language and dual purpose words!

By chance is he running an earth in from the E7 Board to the MET?

Tired after long day, so only briefly speed read the last 4 pages, but that's what I'm thinking is happening if I was to hazard a guess lol

He is running the cable from the main meter and the economy 7 meter to the meter in the kitchen. He is running it through the lounge because he says he cannot get to the cable running from the main metre because it is situated in an area he cannot get to and for that reason he cannot give a certificate if he cannot check what state the cable is in. So in one way he is correct although the cost is massive 2,100 pounds. He is also enclosing the grey cables in trunking and changing the fuses of the underfloor heating as he says they are the wrong ones!

He is running the cable from the main meter and the economy 7 meter to the meter in the kitchen. He is running it through the lounge because he says he cannot get to the cable running from the main metre because it is situated in an area he cannot get to and for that reason he cannot give a certificate if he cannot check what state the cable is in. So in one way he is correct although the cost is massive 2,100 pounds. He is also enclosing the grey cables in trunking and changing the fuses of the underfloor heating as he says they are the wrong ones!
I get the impression that this bloke is tryng it on surreygirl, watch yourself with this one, but without actual eyes on it is very difficult to be 100% sure, have you checked his credentials?

a lot of that looks, sounds , and smells of Bullsh!t. it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck..........

Reading back through some of the posts, this Electrician isn't one you employed, but one the Agent employed, a stitch up methinks Holmes, a stitchup

I agree but I do not have the time to find another electrician I tried rated people and three people came back to me but despite my ringing them I did not get a reply from either except a very nice lady electrician but she was unable to give me a certificate of safety. I suppose I do agree that if he cannot see the cable going from the main box which is outside the flat and the cable from my outside meter runs to the economy 7 which is just in front of the main outside meter and then he is going to run another cable to the meter in the kitchen which has lights cooker shower etc on it. He wants to put a notice in the bathroom that the shower switch is in the kitchen and there are a few wires - not many - that he is going to trunk and then he is going to change the fuses on the underfloor heating. What I do not understand is the price! £2,100 however when he says that if he cannot see the cable he cannot tell if it is safe or not I suppose as far as that is concerned that is true!

I really do not know what to think. I wish I had found an electrician before I let the Agent use his, but I want to thank you all for your advice he has agreed to lower the price based on what you guys told me I was able to question him on the things he was doing, the length of time it would take and the price he was charging, so at least the price is coming down however I do not know by how much based on the invoice he gave me it was 410 pounds to trunk the wiring etc and 1,600 to run a cable from the lounge into the kitchen! He will have to go through the wall obviously but the economy 7 box is in the lounge so he is running a wire from there along the ceiling into the kitchen.

I agree but I do not have the time to find another electrician I tried rated people and three people came back to me but despite my ringing them I did not get a reply from either except a very nice lady electrician but she was unable to give me a certificate of safety. I suppose I do agree that if he cannot see the cable going from the main box which is outside the flat and the cable from my outside meter runs to the economy 7 which is just in front of the main outside meter and then he is going to run another cable to the meter in the kitchen which has lights cooker shower etc on it. He wants to put a notice in the bathroom that the shower switch is in the kitchen and there are a few wires - not many - that he is going to trunk and then he is going to change the fuses on the underfloor heating. What I do not understand is the price! £2,100 however when he says that if he cannot see the cable he cannot tell if it is safe or not I suppose as far as that is concerned that is true!

I really do not know what to think. I wish I had found an electrician before I let the Agent use his, but I want to thank you all for your advice he has agreed to lower the price based on what you guys told me I was able to question him on the things he was doing, the length of time it would take and the price he was charging, so at least the price is coming down however I do not know by how much based on the invoice he gave me it was 410 pounds to trunk the wiring etc and 1,600 to run a cable from the lounge into the kitchen! He will have to go through the wall obviously but the economy 7 box is in the lounge so he is running a wire from there along the ceiling into the kitchen.
I would love to say I would be willing, providing my travel costs were met to come visit, but it would be a waste as I am not registered with a CPScheme.

Surely there are Electrical contractors in your area, apart from rated people.

If he has agreed to lower the price because of what people on this forum has said, that must tell you something

That list I gave you in an earlier post must have yielded some hits for you to try.

Tell the Agent, "Electrician" and Tenant, that you will find an Electrician, who could carry out and EICR, and tell Burke and Hare to do one, you will get the certificate requested by your tenant, but it may take a while until you find someone reputable, when you do don't tell him what has been said, let him form his own opinion, make sure you get someone who belongs to a CPScheme NICEIC, NAPIT, ELECSA or one of the others there are a few more about.

pete. i have to disagree with you on that post. (only the last bit).you don't need to be in a scam (scheme) such as NICEIC etc. to carry out EICRs. or to do non-notifiable/ remedial work.

@OP. surely you have friends or relatives that have dealt with electricians and can recommend them.

I agree with@Pete999 , tell this 'electrician' to do one, don't have him do any work and I'd be looking to get a different managing agent.

What I will say is... you only have to be competent @Pete999 , you don't need to be a member of a scheme to carry out an EICR.

As for his BS about not being able to tell whether the cables are safe... without seeing it, I feel that it is as I've stated, complete BS. If there are no signs of thermal damage where the cables are visible or at their terminations, and you can test them electrically for safety, there is no reason to not issue a certificate... ffs, if that was the case, no one would be issuing certificates and all our wiring would be surface mounted to allow inspection. He's trying to pull a fast one, plain and simple IMHO.

"That list I gave you in an earlier post must have yielded some hits for you to try"

Yes it did. Thank you very much. It is too late now as I must go back to Spain on Wednesday and I am afraid of safety as he says the underfloor heating has the wrong fuses in!

I think for now the grey trunking is safe, but I am afraid when the tenant uses the underfloor heating.

Yes what you said was a great help. I wrote it all down and questioned him on it and it just turns out that all he is doing is trunking a few wires in grey changing a switch, putting up a note to say the switch for the shower is in the kitchen and that is it! Then the other work he is doing is running the wire from the outside meter - the one you read - to the economy 7 which is in the lounge and the kitchen which is next door to the lounge! The main meter is directly behind the economy 7 meter. The wiring to that would be about four feet and then about 13 feet to the meter in the kitchen.

.[/QUOTE]

pete. i have to disagree with you on that post. you don't need to be in a scam (scheme) such as NICEIC etc. to carry out EICRs. or to do non-notifiable/ remedial work.

@OP. surely you have friends or relatives that have dealt with electricians and can recommend them.
Yes Tel, you are right of course, I realised that after I posted, still don't have all the equipment now, sorry OP for misleading you.

pete. i have to disagree with you on that post. (only the last bit).you don't need to be in a scam (scheme) such as NICEIC etc. to carry out EICRs. or to do non-notifiable/ remedial work.

I wish I did but I live in Spain not the UK and have only come over for a few weeks to sort things out for the new tenant moving in. If I had known this was going to happen I would have sorted out an electrician over the internet before I arrivaed but I could not envisage a £2100k bill in a million years.

I agree with@Pete999 , tell this 'electrician' to do one, don't have him do any work and I'd be looking to get a different managing agent.

What I will say is... you only have to be competent @Pete999 , you don't need to be a member of a scheme to carry out an EICR.

As for his BS about not being able to tell whether the cables are safe... without seeing it, I feel that it is as I've stated, complete BS. If there are no signs of thermal damage where the cables are visible or at their terminations, and you can test them electrically for safety, there is no reason to not issue a certificate... ffs, if that was the case, no one would be issuing certificates and all our wiring would be surface mounted to allow As for his BS about not being able to tell whether the cables are safe... without seeing it, I feel that it is as I've stated, complete BS. If there are no signs of thermal damage where the cables are visible or at their terminations, and you can test them electrically for safety, there is no reason to not issue a certificate... ffs, if that was the case, no one would be issuing certificates and all our wiring would be surface mounted to allow inspection. He's trying to pull a fast one, plain and simple IMHO

You have a point there I will write that in an email right now whilst it is on my mind. You are quite correct in what you say.

Thank you for that.

Reply to Am I being taken for a ride? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net