Discuss Am I just wasting my time?? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi new to this forum. I am just starting my 3rd year apprenticeship in electrical installation.
ATM in time, I have not completed any units in my portfolio. We are constantly have tutors who leave within one term or/ and being replaced with unqualified persons who cannot give us the answers to queries about electrics.
I obviously have not received my first cert. This isn't just me, its a good 98% of my year.
Would you say in your expert opinions that this unfortunately is the norm in most colleges, or are we (at ours ) being failed by college management.
On another note: is anyone out there looking for a new apprentice in the North Manchester area, I think my boss is about to go cards in, and that will then leave me up s... creak.

No, not all college experiences are like that. My local college's electrical dept has always been staffed by experienced and knowledgeable people who care about delivering a good course with all the extra teaching they can fit in on top of the course content.
We did have sub teachers at times, but they were appropriately qualified, i.e. non-electrically biased maths and physics tutors to teach theory.

Get an official complaint into the college and demand a written response. If any refunds are to be forthcoming then a trail of communication will be helpful.

Complaints might just be the factor to kick start your course back on track though if enough of your class do it.

Everything a student needs to know about complaints to colleges and universities - http://www.thecomplainingcow.co.uk/everything-a-student-needs-to-know-about-complaints-to-colleges-and-universities/

Thanks Paul and Andy. Complaining Cow printed off. My boos is fed up that I cannot show him stuff he says I should be able to do by now. But I'v told him I have been shown how to strip a wire 7 different ways over the past two years by at least the same amount of different tutors. All I am going for is to get my mark. I am at this college because he wanted me to go to this one, I have thought of changing, but wasn't sure if it more of the Devil I know....Grass isn't greener

Stick with it, I just had my apprentice quit after his first year. He didn't think he could handle all the equations from college so quit after his 2nd day back. Shame really as he was getting really good - he's now working at Tesco...

Gonna do my best to stick at it. But it's getting worse. Months notice. Boss gone cards in. Told me to go self employed so I can invoice for jobs I get with another guy. Anyone know anything about this. I believe thr is a public insurance offering cheap insurance for Electricion's

Pretty certain it's against the law for an apprentice to be self employed, they need to be employed full time.

How many days a week have you been a college compared to on site with your boss? He should have been teaching and training you as well, and the main part of your practical learning skills would have been coming from him not college.

Just one day a week in collage. Then with the work on the job 4 days. But now it's work as n when, n I have to either invoice direct or as a sub contractor. Either way unless I get another job I'm gonna have to keep on or collage will kick me off. Conscious though of needing public liability

Reply to Am I just wasting my time?? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net