Currently reading:
Any good ideas?

Discuss Any good ideas? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

hightower

Please see the attached files, I'm needing some ideas and possibly some out of the box thinking.

This is a surround for an old range cooker in that house of my mate's that I'm rewiring. He's planning to put a range style cooker here but we need to think about extraction. At the top is a concrete lintel, 1620mm is the height of the opening, and there's some ducting in the corner as you can see - this is 150mm diameter, and although it can be cut to shorten, it would be a pain to remove and replace.

Originally we were going to build down a false layer to hold a hood, but given the new range would be 900m height this would bring the gap between cooker and hood to about 500mm. So the next idea was to fit a standard kitchen extractor unit (like a wall mounted one) to the current ducting, but I don't think it would be fit for purpose and would get splattered in grease. If we did go down this route however, I think LED tape would be up to the job of lighting the area in place of the lights built in to a typical hood.

So, any bright ideas anyone, extraction mainly.

View attachment 35104

View attachment 35105

View attachment 35106

HT. How old is the house? I'm surprised the lintel covers the whole of the bottom of the chinney breast. Do you know what the existing liner was used for? Was it a wood buring stove or Arga. They're quite popular down here in sleepy Surrey. ;-)

Well I'm not sure the technical name for it, but it was home to a big gas powered range that also provided heating for the house (plumbing pipes were removed from it). I'm going to have to go back and take another look because I'm now working off memory and a couple of photos.

my guess would be a Rayburn. that's a poor man's Aga, but they burnt any old crap and heated water and radiators if added.

It's not really about polishing a turd now is it, it's about making the best of a bad situation with minimal cost and disruption.

He sounds like a cheap Bastar**, people will try and waste your time accommodating their stupid ideas and when it backfires they will look to you for answer or to blame. If your there re-wiring he might as well do it now as the mess will be fairly minimal.

Reply to Any good ideas? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock