Search the forum,

Discuss Anyone come across a wall filled with sand? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Worked on some tower blocks years ago, the sockets and lighting were laid on the rough concrete floor in pvc conduit, the lights were piped on the floor for the flat below, then the builder dumped a load of sharp sand over the floor, levelled it off, put rock wool slabs on then chipboard flooring over, creating a floating floor. Anyway once the people moved in and had heating on, we had to go back and fit various fancy ceiling lights for some residents, when we took the pendant down it was like being inside a big egg timer! The sand had dried out with the heating pipes also being placed on the floor!

I worked in a really old pub years ago and the floor above was filled with ash and cinder for sound proofing.
It was waste from the local block manufacturer.

Last edited:
I've heard of sand being used between blast walls but never done owt on a Nuclear bunker... However I was thinking of buying one the way the worlds going.

the rich girl wears a brassiere, the poor girl uses string. but dinah uses nothing at all: she let's the buggers swing.

I've never seen sand, but ash deafening ceilings is very common around here. Various loft insulation materials include blue/pink polystyrene beads, and stuff that looks like dried paper mache thats been shreded. also we have straw walls (known as stramit), and walls made of honey comb card board sandwiched between plasterboard.

It needs a loudspeaker or two or more mounting in it, if it hasn't already got one! G.A.Briggs of Wharfedale reported excellent results with sand-filled enclosures about 60 years ago.

I think we are all waiting for the day when we go to cut out a socket in a wall and we find a stash of money hidden away.
Best things I have come across have been a box full of ww2 surplus stuff inclusive of grenades! posted about that before.
most awkward has to have been the teenager who when lifting up loose floor boards to conceal his stuff damaged a cable,causing loss of sockets on the upstairs radial. called out by the mum to investigate and whilst she is stood there looking we come face to face with a pile of ---- mags! only thing is they were gay ---- mags and gaytimes. she had no idea her son was gay and gather she was going to have a chat with him! that would have been awkward.
The creepiest was when called to a house to find out why sockets had stopped working upstairs.and one of the double sockets was a bug, it had a sim card in so it could be listened in on remotely. turns out the ladies now ex husband had installed it but when putting it back on wall, the live had come loose stopping subsequent sockets on the radial from working. He got community service for that and it did him no favours with the divorce and custody case either.
There are some right weird people out in the countryside around my way!

Best things I have come across have been a box full of ww2 surplus stuff inclusive of grenades! posted about that before.
most awkward has to have been the teenager who when lifting up loose floor boards to conceal his stuff damaged a cable,causing loss of sockets on the upstairs radial. called out by the mum to investigate and whilst she is stood there looking we come face to face with a pile of ---- mags! only thing is they were gay ---- mags and gaytimes. she had no idea her son was gay and gather she was going to have a chat with him! that would have been awkward.
The creepiest was when called to a house to find out why sockets had stopped working upstairs.and one of the double sockets was a bug, it had a sim card in so it could be listened in on remotely. turns out the ladies now ex husband had installed it but when putting it back on wall, the live had come loose stopping subsequent sockets on the radial from working. He got community service for that and it did him no favours with the divorce and custody case either.
There are some right weird people out in the countryside around my way!
Make a note "don't do work for people in Somerset".

I've seen a spec from an architect that required an internal cavity wall to be sand filled to increase its thermal mass. The wall ran full height of the 3 storey building and was basically an inner skin to the external wall. The cavity between it and the external wall along with the heat retention was designed to create a large amount of natural ventilation.

This was in a fairly new building though that was designed to have high energy efficiency.

Never seen sand but have seen hay a few years ago.

And just the other week found egg boxes throughout the stud walls on a renovation. 28p for 6 large eggs!

Never seen sand but have seen hay a few years ago.

And just the other week found egg boxes throughout the stud walls on a renovation. 28p for 6 large eggs!
I think that you are referring to paramount walls. You saying about egg boxes in the music classrooms at my Upper school they had like cardboard large egg box trays stuck to the walls.

No I mean actual used egg boxes! Will try and get a picture on next visit.

I have spent a lot of time reading newspapers pulled out of lathe walls and also lining floorboards under the underlay of old floors.
The most interesting one was in and old hall were American and British troops were billeted in the servants quarters in what was in effect an attic , but it was like a terraced row.
There were all sorts , even letters from families, beer bottles, American newspapers and film magazines . That was just the tip of the iceberg.
I think we were the first to be in there since the war .
It was quite a humbling experience to be honest .
We did what we had to and left it as it was.
. We did not charge him for that day.

Reply to Anyone come across a wall filled with sand? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net