Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss Anyone go the BBB to hand - reg regarding mix and match in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

So next week I have to add a circuit to this board:

Wylex CU.jpg

My plan is to add a Wylex breaker ........... but how would the BBB wording cover this?

I haven't bough the BBB yet!

After all, its not me that added the 3rd party breakers:):):):):)

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Andy78

Andy78 Respected Member

I think your work would be perfectly fine. A note on the cert might be in order. Also see what Wylex have to say about that. Would be a costly swap to change all those out.

3. Pete999

Pete999 Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    None
    Not sure if you will be able to read this PDF the NICEIC told me to read when I asked their help desk, no I'm not a member.
    Sorry cant copy it, it's a Beama pdf safe selection of devices for installation in enclosures, you should be able to Google it for yourself.

4. Murdoch

Hum ............ asking Wylex will surely ONLY result in the recommendation for them to make bigger profits swap Harok for Wylex

So I'm not going there

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Murdoch

Pete - thats a link to your hard drive

Could you post the PDF?

6. Pete999

Pete999 Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    None
    No it wont let me, copyright or something

7. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Staff Member Moderator

Top Poster Of Month

Go onto a website for a company called United Electrical Products where under the rcbo section you will see these Harok devices with a claim they are Wylex compatible. Not sure Mr Wylex will support that.

8. Murdoch

None of the car manufactures have tried to stop people fitting 3rd party brake pads to their cars - MCB's and RCBO's are no different....

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. davesparks

davesparks Forum Mentor

Yes they are different, a better comparison for brake pads would be lamps, they wear out and need to be replaced.

MCBs and RCBOs form part of a type tested assembly to a specific European standard, mixing parts which have not been type tested together results in a potentially non-compliant assembly.

Brake pads are a service item designed to be replaced at regular intervals as they wear.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Murdoch

back to my OP - can anyone share the wording of this "new" reg?

11. westward10

Top Poster Of Month

Have a pic. 20180728_130523.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  12. Vortigern

Vortigern Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    If you are installing to 18th edition (not that you need to) you will need the regs exam and BBB surely to make sure you are compliant with 18th edition that comes into force Jan 2019. Why do you not just keep to 17th and not be premature? Anyway if you put a wylex fuse in the spare way you are not mixing anything, whoever put the others in did the mixing which in no way affects your work.

• Like Like x 3
  13. westward10

Top Poster Of Month

All this new Reg does is reinforce what many people should not be doing in the first place, there has always been a requirement to follow manufacturers instructions. For those who do not mix and attempt to match this Reg is irrelevant.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Vortigern

Vortigern Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    Any MCB currently complying with 60898 should be universally the same, standard, operation, characteristics. If the shape of it fits whats the big deal. Is this not actually manufacturers using the regs to enhance their own monopoly and business model? Like Hager getting in the reg about MF junction boxes to stop Wago from getting into the european market? Get a grip the reg should be changed to if an MCB fits without chopping the consumer unit about then use it for goodness sake!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  15. westward10

Top Poster Of Month

The issue is not individual component specification but the integrity of the whole part.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1