Discuss Anyone go the BBB to hand - reg regarding mix and match in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

There are a few cases, where one parent company owns more than one brand of component, where they may say yes but, in the vast majority of cases it's a liability that a company need not take on so, in all likelihood wont.

Proteus for instance used to make retrofit MCBs for Wylex rewirable and cartridge boards.
So maybe they were willing to accept the liability, or perhaps they conducted type testing?

Yes it does, short of taking on design responsibilities for the enclosure and components. I can't believe there are that many sparks who are qualified and experienced enough to take that responsibility on.
Yes it does, short of taking on design responsibilities for the enclosure and components. I can't believe there are that many sparks who are qualified and experienced enough to take that responsibility on.
Perhaps if you were to read and inwardly digest the literature from manufacturers, you won't jump to to assumptions.

Last edited:
All the new regulation does is bring this into BS 7671 because the requirement in law was being ignored by sparks.

The legal requirement for type tested assemblies has been in place since 1994, so it's not new, it's just been ignored by electricians for the last 24 years and the "industry" is once again having to bring clauses into the BS to persuade electricians to comply with the law, which they should have been complying with for the last 24 years!

DBs don’t have to be type tested.
There has never been a law prohibiting the use of non type tested DBs and there has never been a law prohibiting modification of DBs.

So, where does the Electrical Equipment Safety Regulations come in?
This is the UK implementation of the Low Voltage Directive.
Ok, technically you don’t have to type test, but, then, as the manufacturer of the assembly, you have to complete your technical file, proving that the equipment you have provided is as safe as if you had followed the requirements of the harmonised standard, which does require type testing.
Also don’t forget the UK ational annex.

Well ............... of course you can ........... why not?

A note on the cert is probably appropriate

If you don't do it, some one else will do.
Don’t get me wrong I also would but if by mixing components, without OEM approval, the cu is non-compliant.

Adding a new circuit to a non-complaint CU seems like it should be wrong.

Just thinking out loud to be honest.

Don’t get me wrong I also would but if by mixing components, without OEM approval, the cu is non-compliant.

Adding a new circuit to a non-complaint CU seems like it should be wrong.

Just thinking out loud to be honest.
It’s only your work that has to comply.
However you will have to take on board that the type testing has been voided, so any protective device you install will have to have a breaking capacity greater than the measured PFC.

However you will have to take on board that the type testing has been voided, so any protective device you install will have to have a breaking capacity greater than the measured PFC.
That seems simple enough having never seen a PSCC or PEFC Low enough to challenge thebreaking capacity of domestic devices.

Que next job, Ze of 0.01 and me on here asking of you can get a 50KA MCB :)

That seems simple enough having never seen a PSCC or PEFC low enough to challenge the breaking capacity of domestic devices.

Que next job, Ze of 0.01 and me on here asking of you can get a 50KA MCB :)

Reply to Anyone go the BBB to hand - reg regarding mix and match in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net