Discuss Anyone receiving any email scams directed at electricians? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Well could turn into a long thread just had another one that looks a bit dodgy to me
Coming from a Hotmail.com address, what do you guys think?

Hi there,

We are looking to have our current kitchen extractor fan removed and then replaced with a new one.

Since moving into the house we have discovered that some of the work hasn’t been carried out to the safest standard and so need it doing professionally. The extractor fan isn’t on tiles, the tiles have been added around it, we can remove them before the job begins, but would be good to know beforehand.

If there could be a weekend between the two parts of the job, that would give us the time to do the decorating we want to do in the kitchen.

Is this something you would be able to do?

Thanks,

Natalie

There at it again I seem to be having a lot of these just reacently

Can safely say this has gone straight in the bin

508CB08F-FD44-4C17-B214-8D06D33AFE79.png

Why would you want this ??

Because the link that points to the dodgy file can be viewed. That reveals the domain they are using to host the payload they are trying to get you to download.

With that information, you can report the domain to the company that runs the top level domain they are using. And if they are doing their job properly, they'll suspend the domain. Every domain costs money, so the more they get reported, the more they lose and at some point it may end up not being a cost effective scam.

Same applies to the email address they used to send the mail to you. That can be reported to the company providing the mail service. Running such scams through say Gmail is frowned up and so the address should end up being shutdown.

Oh and another useful nugget... if you get calls from the area code 01632 you can safely ignore them.

01632 is a fake area code reserved for use by TV programs etc. It does not exist and if it is displayed on caller ID, it's a good indication the caller ID is being faked. Only non-reputable companies will fake their number to be a non-existent number :)

Well the plot thickens
Monday morning and I've had a reply to one of those crappy emails asking me to "download" all the documents and a similar download url to what SparkyChick said
https: //plightgen.xyz/Ivorycoast-Docplans/img/17/1
Reported Justinlewis0009@ outlook.com to outlook
Oh and I've added a couple spaces in the above so no one accidently clicks on them

So seeing as how the top level domain .xyz seems to be popular with these scum bags... this is the website of the company that operates it:-

.xyz Official Registry Operator Website - https://nic.xyz/

They have an abuse policy and an easy means for reporting it. The domain I reported to them was taken off-line quite quickly.

And @rhitey , I commend your efforts reporting them. Thank you :)

The more people that take the initiative and report these scum bags, the more difficult it is for them to make their scam profitable. Every domain costs money, every email account costs money at some point. The more they end up out of pocket, the less inclined they will be to continue their scam.

Same here, offers with an attachment or link to click. Here’s a receipt one I received....

Hello I got your details online would like to get a quote for a full electrical job at my property and was wondering if you would be available to replace the fuse box and maybe just check the electrics for me? I may need a few sockets installed as well and also carry out some major renovation works there.

Kindly get back to me so i can send you pics of the property and see if you are available to carry out the work.

Pauline Bradley

Hmm got another dodgy looking one but with my town in the wording now and coming from a yahoo.fr email address

Hi could we arrange a quote in Yeovil for some electrical work ,

Installation External hook up plug from house to connect to a caravan trailer , fitting of extra sockets, ceiling light and maybe a new consumer unit .

I can do every day early morning .

Thanks

jonathann

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I had one from Paul Gascoigne, [email protected]

"Hello,

the smoke alarm in my house is making an intermittent beep continuously.
It has no battery,is wired to the mains but was installed less than 2 years.

When will you be free to have a look at the pictures with a view to repair or replacing
as necessary ?

Many thanks."

The worrying thing is it sounds pretty convincing compared to some of the phishing emails (or have I just missed a job :oops:). What do they hope to get from this though?

I’ve now for the last two months, been getting emails from Credit Reference agencies, Experian, Equifax and TransUnion.
Apparently my credit score is the highest it’s ever been.

Reply to Anyone receiving any email scams directed at electricians? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net