Discuss Anything wrong with my latest advertising method? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Guest569

So I know a lot of folk thought my website was perhaps guilty of scaremongering a little !...

Thought Id get opinion on my latest idea ....

Ive recently rewired 2 flats in the same area both of which were built in the 50/60s and both had various degrees of unsafe electrics. The area is blocks of 8 up flats. Residents seem to be mostly older, wealthy types.

Ive just printed off 500 letters offering all the residents a free visual inspection of there system. No scaremongering going on I think :) ..I have stated that if the electrics are of similar age they could need a degree of maintenance/condition report.

All worded very well and even an apology at the end if the letter is in anyway obtrusive.

So...go on then , scaremongering or drumming up business ?

Nothing wrong with handing out flyers to drum up business, as for offering to do free inspections, well that's your call, it is your business.

Nothing wrong with handing out flyers to drum up business, as for offering to do free inspections, well that's your call, it is your business.

Its a proper letter. I do offer free visual inspections but will do a lot of sussing out on the phone first before visiting. Sometimes even get the customer to send some pics before heading out. Can usually tell if worth while

I honestly wish you well in business bud, I know I have a laugh at you but generally I think you will do well and your a grafter so good luck.

Yeah... but....Aren't you doing a free inspection of sorts when you quote for a job? Or do you charge for quotes?

Yeah... but....Aren't you doing a free inspection of sorts when you quote for a job? Or do you charge for quotes?
I never said there was a problem? I said it was his call as it is his business, No problem as far as I am concerned. As for myself, tenders get sent to me by Engineers and Architects, I price from them, occasionally I need to visit site, usually a school or Public building, but most of the time straight from the specification and drawing so free inspections do not really apply to me.

So I know a lot of folk thought my website was perhaps guilty of scaremongering a little !...

Ive recently rewired 2 flats in the same area both of which were built in the 50/60s and both had various degrees of unsafe electrics. The area is blocks of 8 up flats. Residents seem to be mostly older, wealthy types.

Ive just printed off 500 letters offering all the residents a free visual inspection of there system. No scaremongering going on I think :) ..I have stated that if the electrics are of similar age they could need a degree of maintenance/condition report.

All worded very well and even an apology at the end if the letter is in anyway obtrusive.

Top man.

Yeah but by offering a "free visual inspection" you are potentially getting in contact with people whom might never have bothered calling for any work. People love things with the word "free" attached ;)

May be better if you spell checked EVERYTHING before you even think about releasing it into the wild and take some lessons in Basic English. You're making yourself look an illiterate clown.

You and a few others here may think it unimportant to have a decent command of the Mother Tongue to do sparking work and you may be right, but here you are advertising yourself and your business and that's a whole new kettle of horses. It's the first impression that counts and if I ever receive an unsolicited mailshot liberally sprinkled with basic spelling errors you can guess what I'll think of the company and what I'll do with the fancy leaflet !!

(in this case the misspelled word is their - as in THEIR property is over THERE)

.....in this case the misspelled word is their - as in THEIR property is over THERE

Clearly wasn't subject to english language and literature in the good old days when teachers could liberally hand out corporal punishment for minor grammatical errors! Not that it did me much good but I'd dread to think how bad my edification would have been if I hadn't been subject to a torrent of physical abuse ..... it would be all misteaks!

p.s. For clarity, by physical abuse I make no inference to having been subject to sexual abuse in any way (unless I enjoyed it!) and do not wish to pursue any 50yr old claims against any teacher (or actor/radio personality etc ....) so all 'no-win-no-claim' low lifes please do not beat any paths to my door!

Yeah but by offering a "free visual inspection" you are potentially getting in contact with people whom might never have bothered calling for any work. People love things with the word "free" attached ;)

I think most people with half a brain see a leaflet through the door with 'free inspection' on as just a salesman trying to get a lead, and get a chance to convince you, you need work doing to warrant the 'free inspection'

its just like the companies that offer 'free audits' to other business, they just want the chance to convince the other company how much they need sorting out

i would maybe just put your business card through the door?

with the amount of marketing pressure people are subjected to nowadays i think you might find people are very suspicious of the word 'free'

Im really not questioning your motives and im sure your an honest bloke but with your website as well, you are using methods used by high pressure salesman and scaremongering, i have always found passive advertising pays off much more

I would personally put the time and money into advertising in a local business or parish magazine, they are only twenty or so quid a month and they have been a goldmine for work for me in the past, better still if you ask them to print a small column about you and your business one month, most of those mags do stuff like that, i had the phone ringing off the hook the few times i have done that, silly as it sounds

good luck with it anyway

I think most people with half a brain see a leaflet through the door with 'free inspection' on as just a salesman trying to get a lead, and get a chance to convince you, you need work doing to warrant the 'free inspection'

Exactly...who in there right mind is going to think he will go round and tell them everything is ok...

Obviously there's a catch with the free inspection...its just so he can go round and tell you it needs updating/re-wiring or whatever...

But good luck with it...

May be better if you spell checked EVERYTHING before you even think about releasing it into the wild and take some lessons in Basic English. You're making yourself look an illiterate clown.

You and a few others here may think it unimportant to have a decent command of the Mother Tongue to do sparking work and you may be right, but here you are advertising yourself and your business and that's a whole new kettle of horses. It's the first impression that counts and if I ever receive an unsolicited mailshot liberally sprinkled with basic spelling errors you can guess what I'll think of the company and what I'll do with the fancy leaflet !!

(in this case the misspelled word is their - as in THEIR property is over THERE)

Correcting grammar online...zzzzzz.

Im sorry but Im not about to start spellchecking my posts on an INTERNET FORUM.

Bitter old? man.

Last edited by a moderator:
I take on board what you are saying about the "free" part, but my thinking is, That there are a lot of people whom in the back of the mind may have doubts/concerns about their electrics but never get round to doing anything about it. My letter will target these people, Ill confirm or releive suspicions for "free".

Also Im not targeting just any customer, I know the installations in these flats are in a bad way.

It's like internet phishing I guess ( not saying its a scam) you will only need one bite and a reasonable amount of work out of it to make it pay. Good luck

Reply to Anything wrong with my latest advertising method? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net